Need more water pressure at the shower head

Users who are viewing this thread

Smythers

Reaction score
Hi again!

Just finished up the new bathroom. Everything is working properly, just not happy with the water pressure out of the shower head. I've checked out everything, pressure in supply is fine. Checked out the manual and it says

showerheads limited to 2.0 gpm (7.6 L/min) maximum, and 1.5 gpm (5.7 L/min) minimum at 45 psi

That's a MOEN BANBURY® Single-Handle Tub/Shower Valve, 82910 series.

http://www.moen.com/products/Banbury/Banbury_Spot_resist_brushed_nickel_PosiTempR_tubshower/82910SRN

Is there any way to up the pressure from the shower head without changing the actual shower head?

I'm pretty sure that's what I need to do - tried an old shower head and got great water pressure. But I figured I'd check in with y'all to see if there was anything else I might try.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It depends on HOW they do the flow restriction.
I have removed restrictors in the past and if not removable, have drilled them out. One time I made the mistake to drill one out that was actually a hollow rivet holding the pieces together which had disastrous consequences.

BTW, there is no mention of what the supply pressure is so increasing the supply pressure might be an option.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, you need to measure your supply water pressure. It sounds more like you're volume limited verses pressure. If you make the hole in the shower head larger, up to a point, that can help, but overdone, it might make things worse. Think a water hose with and without a nozzle on the end. The nozzle provides a restriction, and that forces the water to accelerate. Remove too much restriction, and your shower head could have the same problem. The actual design of the shower head can have a big effect on its performance, too. IOW, they are not all created equal. The only thing equal in them is the federal requirement on maximum flow. The more nozzles, and the larger they are, the less speed up you get (Bernoulli effect).

I'd get a bucket and a watch or clock with a second hand, see how much actual volume your shower head provides in a minute.

Smythers

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I'm going to measure up our output at the shower head, see what that gets us. And maybe measure the output at a different fixture for comparison. Unfortunately I don't have a pressure gauge on my supply line, but this would be a good time to install one.

It seems that if there is a restriction, it's at the shower head, as the pressure was fine with an older shower head. However, I've been wrong before, so we'll take a look at everything to see if we can tweak it.

I rather suspect that everything is fine and it's just the shower head design - in which case, I think I'll get a shower head that can be as efficient but more like a Shower than like standing under a broken gutter in a light rain.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm going to measure up our output at the shower head, see what that gets us. And maybe measure the output at a different fixture for comparison.

Waste of time/effort IMO. You already swapped shower heads, and that told you what you needed to know. Click Inbox.

You still may want a pressure gauge, but not for this job, I think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks