Need More Pressure Scotty!

Users who are viewing this thread

rjmoore

Reaction score
I have a shallow well pump (we installed ourselves)that we use for our cabin and have never had enough pressure for showers, etc. The point is 19 feet and from there we have an underground line up a hill to our cabin. I'm thinking of adding a higher cut-off switch from our 20-40 to a 30-50 or even a 40-60. Will this work? Another option would be to put a boost pump at the cabin to help draw/push the water. The switch idea costs the least at about $18. The pump we have was a used rebuilt and 1/2 hp. Could a 1hp with the higher switch be the best answer?

Speedbump

Reaction score
A one horse would more than likely do better than a 1/2hp. But then again it depends on what Brands your talking about. There is a lot of deceptive advertising going on these days. For instance, the Big Box stores sell a 1/2 hp Jet Pump with a 1.0 Service Factor that is a full 1/2hp. I sell one with (made of real cast iron not plastic) a 1.9 Service Factor that is really a .95 horsepower Pump.

The big thing is the total lift in feet. A shallow well jet pump can only lift 25 feet vertically and the closer you get to that depth, the less pressure it can make.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
If you supply more information, some of the experts here could probably SWAG it. What is the height from the well to the cabin. Maybe pipe size as well. How much water/min you want to be able to draw also impacts the results. If you have the make and model of the pump and can find the pump curve you can figure out how high the pressure can go. It is 0.433 psi for each foot of water lift. Make sure your wires are large enough for a larger pump. 1 HP might want 240V. I am not the expert. Provide info and they will come.

Never mind. While I was typing one of the experts answered.

rjmoore

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The sand point is down 19 feet and we're using one inch black plastic up the hill to the cabin. The vertical rise from the well to the cabin is probably 20 feet and the horizontal distance is about 200 feet. I'm thinking that a 1 hp pump with a 40/60 cut off switch will give me more pressure at the cabin, but i was initially wanting to replace the 20/40 switch with a 40/60 switch. Can i do that on a 1/2 hp pump?

thanks for your help!!!

Speedbump

Reaction score
First of all, you should be using at least 1-1/4" suction line. A shallow well jet pump can lift water 25 feet maximum. So if your 20 feet above the well and the water level in the well is 5 foot your already at the max.

bob...

rjmoore

Reaction score
Bob,

we do have a 1 1/4 suction line to the sand point and 1 inch from the well to the cabin. we have plenty of pressure at the pump, but i think by the time the water gets to the cabin, the pressure is maybe 20 psi. i'm looking into getting a 1 hp (with a high service rating...thanks) with a cut off switch at 40/60. my original question still stands. can i put a 40/60 switch on my 1/2 hp pump? it has a 20/40 switch now. thanks for all your help!!!!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't need to replace the switch. The switches are adjustable. The same switch that is set at 20/40 can be set to 40/60 and probably 50/70 and anywhere in between.

When a switch has a setting that is just the factory setting. Get out your screwdriver and pliers or small wrench. Take the cover off and crank down on the big screw to increase the pressure.

If the pump doesn't have a working gauge then you must replace the gauge. Setting the pressure with no gauge is like a blind man trying to adjust the picture on his TV.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Remember that adjusting the switch doesn't necessarilly mean that the Pump can get up that high. Most 1/2hp pumps make close to 60 depending on the lift.

I assumed you had the pump at the Cabin, I see now that it's at the well. With 1" line, the 200 feet shouldn't be much of a problem.

bob...

rjmoore

Reaction score
thanks for the great advice! i'll try to adjust the switch (i hope it has a gauge) and i'll go from there. i wont be at the cabin for a week or so, and i'll let you guys know how it goes. again, thanks for your time!!!!!

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
The gauge is not in the switch. They are talking about an external pressure gauge on the pipe. Little round guy with a dial marked in psi. If it is not there, you need to plumb one in before screwing around with the switch.

rjmoore

Reaction score
ALTERNETY,
THANKS FOR THE CLARIFICATION!! I'll put one in and let you know how it went.

rjmoore

Reaction score
Well, i went up north and adjusted the switch. First, i put in a pressure gauge and then went to work on the switch. i adjusted the upper limit to about 58 psi (the pump wasn't able to get much more than that) and then adjusted the lower limit. thank God i had my cheaters with me, 'cause the lower limit adjustment was a little screw head type thing that i could bearly see. it had a tang on the head that didn't allow the adjustment to go any further. so, i now have a 38/58 and there's much more water pressure. my next step is to get a larger pump. i think i'm going with a 1hp pump when i get a chance.

thanks for all the help. this is a GREAT site!!

Bob:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks