Need ideas on unclogging between tub and main septic line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Timbuktu

Reaction score
im trying to unstop the plumbing between my tub drain and the main septic line.( 2ft distance and under a slab)
ive disassembled the tub vent assy and removed an 8 inch section of its downpipe (it runs from tub vent to tub drain loc) as a start. I ran a 1/4 inch rod down 2ft which stopped ( probably hit the main septic line as thats approx where it is),but it didnt clear the line probably due to the small 1/4 inch diameter of the rod. I cant pass anything larger,so an auger may be out. id like to try the plunger first,but I need a way of capping the still opened "vent down pipe". Its not threaded on the accessible end,so im thinkin of some way of closing that open end.

My ideas are
1. wing screw in rubber expansion plug,
2-pipe clamp something over the top of the pipe opening like ?
3-a pvc cap that fits perfecty tight over the pipe opening
4- jam a potato in it?
5-Rags dont seal well enough Im afraid,but i may start with that. Any ideas how i can plug this pipe off so my plunger pressure doesnt escape?

So any ideas?

Timbuktu

Reaction score
I useda pipe cap and that solved the pb. I was mistaken,there were threads on the pipe so the cap screwed right on. The cap made it a closed system and all it took was bout 5 pumps with the plunger and it cleared the drain.

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Reaction score
I useda pipe cap and that solved the pb. I was mistaken,there were threads on the pipe so the cap screwed right on. The cap made it a closed system and all it took was bout 5 pumps with the plunger and it cleared the drain.
Ive since modified the cap by drilling and tapping a beveled hole so my air nozzle would be flush and air tight...sort of...
with enough pressure applied. Crank up my 5 hp air compressor and see if it works. I may try it toorrow after I plug the roof vent with a potato.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks