Need idea for replacement toilet chain

Users who are viewing this thread

DavesToilet

Reaction score
The toilet in the bathroom at my office has been a problem for a long time. The handle arm has broken numerous times. I finally replaced it with a heavy duty handle. Now I have a problem with the chain breaking. I have tried doubling up on the the chains, tripling up on the chains, wire, and zip ties. All of these fixes have only lasted maybe a month. The wire actually worked pretty well, but it would keep the rubber stopper from sealing all the way sometimes until i readjust it. Anyone have any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you post a photo that shows the chain, flapper and rod.

DavesToilet

Reaction score
I suggest you post a photo that shows the chain, flapper and rod.

I am not a big fan of this design. The old flapper style works much better.

Attachments

• 20171212_115616.jpg
    20171212_115616.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 546

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that an American Standard Champion 4? I guess its bigger area causes more pull to be required.

Can you adjust your lever arm to lift more straight up? I think that may reduce the resistance. Also, I was thinking that maybe you could increase the slack on the chain so that the lever would hit the tank lid just before the green thing hits its stop. That way, the tank lid would serve as a stop rather than having the force carried by the chain. Alternatively, maybe glue an appropriately sized block to the underside of the lid to serve as a stop.

Could it be that one of the users likes to use his foot to flush. Is it the case that it never broke when you flushed, but it happened when somebody else uses the toilet? I wonder if each time that when the chain breaks, the toilet flushes one last time, or whether the chain breaks before the green thing lifts, giving no last flush.

If you decide it is some user(s) who are too vigorous, as opposed to the green thing taking too much force to lift, you could consider installing the Kohler Touchless Toilet Flush Kit. That way, the person who does not want to touch the handle with his hand could meet his objective. If the tower is simply taking too much force to lift, then that would not help.

Another idea: rotate the lever so that the user must lift to flush, rather than push down. He might still use his foot, but he will not be putting his weight on the handle.

Last edited:

DavesToilet

Reaction score
Is that an American Standard Champion 4? I guess its bigger area causes more pull to be required.

Can you adjust your lever arm to lift more straight up? I think that may reduce the resistance. Also, I was thinking that maybe you could increase the slack on the chain so that the lever would hit the tank lid just before the green thing hits its stop. That way, the tank lid would serve as a stop rather than having the force carried by the chain. Alternatively, maybe glue an appropriately sized block to the underside of the lid to serve as a stop.

Could it be that one of the users likes to use his foot to flush. Is it the case that it never broke when you flushed, but it happened when somebody else uses the toilet? I wonder if each time that when the chain breaks, the toilet flushes one last time, or whether the chain breaks before the green thing lifts, giving no last flush.

If you decide it is some user(s) who are too vigorous, as opposed to the green thing taking too much force to lift, you could consider installing the Kohler Touchless Toilet Flush Kit. That way, the person who does not want to touch the handle with his hand could meet his objective. If the tower is simply taking too much force to lift, then that would not help.

Another idea: rotate the lever so that the user must lift to flush, rather than push down. He might still use his foot, but he will not be putting his weight on the handle.

PlumbingWay.com

Pasadena Plumbing
Reaction score
Website
www.plumbingway.com
ya seems like a slack issue, much often times we get these issues, simple fix, extend the chain by one loop and make sure its centered,,you can buy different strength and size chains from hardware stores.

DavesToilet

Reaction score
I will adjust the arm and see if that helps. I have thought for awhile that people were using their foot to flush the toilet. A float might help too. When the tank is full the arm is close to the top of the rubber. There is not much slack, but i probably could take a few more links off the chain to reduce the force. Thanks for the suggestions

Reach4

Reaction score
ya seems like a slack issue, much often times we get these issues, simple fix, extend the chain by one loop and make sure its centered,,you can buy different strength and size chains from hardware stores.
Note that he said
The handle arm has broken numerous times. I finally replaced it with a heavy duty handle.
Do you get that symptom much?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks