Need help with some pump guesstimates.

Users who are viewing this thread

John E

Reaction score
I have a 1/2 hp pump with a 33GPM and a 207' max head. I am putting the unit in a 4" pipe that has a water depth of 35'. 20 gal Amtrol pressure tank. Do I need something to reduce the flow? If so, reduce to what. Doing the math as presented has the pump sucking the well dry relatively quickly. The well is next to a small river , but I would rather be safe than sorry. The pump is from Hallmark. I am using the water for our garden. The pump that was formerly in the well is a Gould powered by a 1/2HP Franklin motor. It had some form of flow restrictor on it when I pulled it 2 years ago, but can't find it anywhere. The only reason for replacing the pump was power. 220 vs 110.. Anyway, thanks in advance for any appropriate advice..

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know how many gpm that pump will do, but it will not be close to 33 gpm.

Reach4

Reaction score
Their 1 hp pump description matches their 1 HP pump.

The description of their 1/2 HP pump says
  • 4" deep well submersible pump, fits in the 5" or bigger well casing.
In other words, it may not fit into a 4 inch pvc pipe, and would be even worse in a 4 inch steel casing.

John E

Reaction score
I need a little more advice. I'm led to believe that my check valve should be connected directly to the submersible pump. The pump connection is 11/4" NPT female and the check valve seems to be the same on either end. I have a 11/4" male to 1" barbed pipe connecter for the other end of the check valve. What am I looking for to connect the check valve to the pump. It would seem that I need a double 11/4" NPT . I lack the correct terminology to look for this. Thanks for the help and the patience.

John E

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I got a 4" long 1 1/4 "NPT brass double male "nipple to connect the check valve to the pump. I used 2" vinyl tape and a torque arrestor to stabilize the line. The wiring is connected with the appropriate waterproof connections. Thanks to you folks I understood a pitless adapter and connected the pump line to it. I have the pressure tank and pressure switch all connected. I will run the pump tomorrow for the first time. I am sure this all sound basic to you folks, but is a win for me. Again, thanks for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks