Need help with shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

beebedb

Reaction score
I have this old valve assembly which I can not find the correct replacement valves for. The body has no markings on it other then tub/shower ports. I prefer not to replace the entire assembly but rather just the valves. Attached is a picture from the back of the shower where I broke away the drywall to get a better understanding of what I am dealing with. Have you seen this type of assembly before?

Attachments

• Shower valve assy.jpg
    Shower valve assy.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 213

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That picture kind of helps. A better view would be the handle side.

You are so close to being able to just replace it though.
Normally we replace with a single handle pressure balanced valve with remodel plate.

If you go for the repair, you can pull the stems out and bring them down to match them up. You will want to replace the valve seats while you are at it. That takes a tool, which they should have.

beebedb

Reaction score
I hear ya and will most likely be replacing the entire assembly. Was hoping to replace just valves and seats. Problem is I have taken the valve stems to several hardware stores and plumbing supply shops and no one can match the diverting valve correctly. Water valves are no problem. Was hoping you came across this same type unit and know manufacturer and replacement part #'s.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have taken the valve stems to several hardware stores and plumbing supply shops and no one can match the diverting valve correctly.

It's a good thing you weren't paying a plumber to drive around looking for parts.
That's one reason, it makes more sense to pick out a current offering, one that will have parts for years down the line, and just "get er done!"

attachment.php

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Luckily they still make faucets like the one you have, I just replaced one like this the other day.
What's good about replacing it is: 1. you get a new faucet with new stems, and 2. it fits the holes, and there is no need for a large oversize cover plate (if you were to replace it with a single handle faucet)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Technically, you can rebuild that assembly, but personally, I'd prefer a more modern valve that meets current codes. You cannot legally replace it unless you change it to one meeting current codes, and a direct replacement, although it would be legal for a tub only situation, it is not when it contains a shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you know who made the faucet, which would be a requirement to get the hot and cold stems, locating the diverter should be a piece of cake, from the same source. NO plumber would EVER cut the wall open to repair that valve. It is ALWAYS done from the tub side of the wall.

beebedb

Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to do but mine is 11' and new are only 8", who makes one that's 11" so I don't have to cut and re-route the galvanized water supply pipes?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to go to a "specialty plumbing supply company". Many "premium brands", such as California Brass, make 11" center valves. You might also be able to make one with two "angle shower" valves, a "two way diverter", and a couple of brass nipples.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Gerber makes a 11" replacement for that assembly. I just went through the same process, and after replacing the stems, founds out that the problem was a cracked valve body.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'll repeat, you CANNOT legally replace the valve unless it is one that meets current codes - that means it MUST have anti-scald technology in it. You CAN repair what you have, if you wish. There are add-on antiscald devices that could be made to work with a new valve, but the plumbing can get a little messy. This may become an issue should you desire to sell the house, and would be if you got a plumbing permit and had things inspected (which is also technically required if you replace it).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks