Need Help with P Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Mn8815

Reaction score
The 1.25" p trap under my bathroom sink corroded and leaked all over. Being the capable, well-adjusted, smart individual that i am, i popped over to Menards for a PVC p trap kit and thought i would be a hero in 15 minutes or less.

Fast forward 24 hours, and I'm still trying to figure out what pieces are called... When i tried connecting the 2nd pipe to the threaded end of the cast iron drain with the included PVC washer and nut, it get shredded immediately, and the PVC section is still loose. This is after i used WD40 to try and clean out the rust from the threads.

Can someone give me an overview of what parts I need for this? Will PVC work with the cast iron? And i don't believe i should use pipe dope or tape, right? THANK YOU!

Attachments

• 20200302_191953.jpg
    20200302_191953.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 129
  • 20200302_191948.jpg
    20200302_191948.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 123

Reach4

Reaction score
The 1.25" p trap under my bathroom sink corroded and leaked all over. Being the capable, well-adjusted, smart individual that i am, i popped over to menards for a pvc p trap kit and thought i would be a hero in 15 minutes or less.

Fast forward 24 hours, and im still trying to figure out what pieces are called... When i tried connecting the 2nd pipe to the threaded end of the cast iron drain with the included pvc washer and nut, it get shredded immediately, and the pvc section is still loose. This is after i used wd40 to try and clean out the rust from the threads.

Can someone give me an overview of what parts I need for this? Will pvc work with the cast iron? And i dont believe i should use pipe dope or tape, right? THANK YOU!
First, what is the OD of that steel nipple that is screwed into the cast iron elbow? Is it more like 1.66 inch or 1.9 inch?

The plan is to find a trap adapter that can screw onto that. That will get tape and/or pipe dope.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The new tubular p-trap connects the steel threads with a slip joint nut and washer. Normally a rubber one.
The trap below is 1.5" but shows what is common. You can pick up a chrome plated slip joint nut if it makes it easier.

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

IMG_1227-1.jpg

Mn8815

Reaction score
It measures 1.5 inches from outside thread to outside thread. Perhaps i just need a heavier duty slip nut joint as suggested?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks