Need help with laundry drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ann

Reaction score
thumbnail_IMG_20210518_180915.jpg
Hi Experts

Can anyone please review the attached plumbing for the laundry drain pipe?

I need to attach the A/C condensation pipe to the existing pipe. Where can i attach that? Can anyone please help?

Ann

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Besides the trap on laundry, I’m not seeing any venting. Also drain pipe size could be questionable if it drains for two fixtures.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Upper half of the drawing is a line drawing of how that plumbing should be installed to work properly and be vented to maintain the trap seals. Because certain aspects dont translate well in isometric, I drew the layout of the sink as an elevation drawing looking straight at the wall. Hope the drawing makes sense.

Laundry Drains.png

Ann

Reaction score
Besides the trap on laundry, I’m not seeing any venting. Also drain pipe size could be questionable if it drains for two fixtures.
thanks for your response. There is venting at the end of the pvc pipe. do you think that is adequate? Before installing the drain pipe, i was using utility sink to drain the washer. Do you think i should add another AAV vent in b/w the standing pipe and the utility sink drain?

How about the height of the washer drainbox? is 48inch ok? or is it too high?

Ann

Reaction score
Upper half of the drawing is a line drawing of how that plumbing should be installed to work properly and be vented to maintain the trap seals. Because certain aspects dont translate well in isometric, I drew the layout of the sink as an elevation drawing looking straight at the wall. Hope the drawing makes sense.

View attachment 73874
Hi Tuttles, Thanks for your response

You are awesome.

1. I really liked your idea of draining condensation line to the washer stand pipe
2. I updated the diagram with 2 AAVs. Can you please verify?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20210518_180915.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20210518_180915.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 221

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
2. I updated the diagram with 2 AAVs. Can you please verify?
Yes, that works because the sink is individually trapped, the trap has its vent before it combines with other drains. Good job.

They make a device that slips into that drain opening on the washer box to separate the condensate from the washer hose.. I've never installed one, just seen them.

Reach4

Reaction score
NJ uses NSPC code. http://epubs.iapmo.org/NSPC/NJ2018/

https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_ccc/cccsp08.pdf.
NSPC/2006, Appendix E, “Special Design Plumbing Systems,” Section E.8, “Air-Admittance Valves.” This section specifies that the installation of AAVs are allowed only when the special design plumbing system is designed by a registered design professional who is licensed to practice in the particular jurisdiction. Therefore, if AAVs are used, the system must be designed by a New Jersey Registered Architect or New Jersey Licensed Engineer.

Under a rehabilitation project, the code official may allow the installation of an AAV by considering a variation based on hardship caused by existing conditions. This is a judgment to be made by the code official. The code official may consider and may issue, but is not required to accept and approve, the variation.
On the other hand, https://ipscorp.com/plumbing/brands/studor/approvals-by-state/ would seem to say AAVs are approved statewide. Now is that misleading? Or do you not have to get special approval?

You may need a pump to raise the condensate, depending on its height.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the other hand, https://ipscorp.com/plumbing/brands/studor/approvals-by-state/ would seem to say AAVs are approved statewide. Now is that misleading? Or do you not have to get special approval?
I don't know if this is the case in NJ, but it's possible for a jurisdiction's code to say that AAVs require special approval or an engineered design, and then for the AAV manufacturer to submit sufficient documentation to secure that approval for any project within the jurisdiction, negating the need for project specific approval or engineered design.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks