Need help with how to add a shutoff valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Crash_Overide

Reaction score
Hi All!
This is my first time posting here but I was needing some help with how to add a shutoff valve to some old plumbing.

My entire house doesn't have a single shutoff valve except for the main?? I Guess that is how they used to do it back then? I recently had a leaky faucet in the bathroom and was wanting to replace it and noticed there were no shut off valves in the entire house.

I figured if I was going to replace it I should probably add one also. However, I am not a professional plumber and have only worked with newer things this metal setup confuses me XD.

Under my bathroom sink there are little metal nubs coming from the wall into thin metal tubes to the sink faucet. Those nubs look like they may be on a thread but I'm not sure if it is soldered together. I didn't want to try turning them and breaking something since there is practically no pipe to work with?

I tried looking it up on google but only could find info on things that seemed newer. I'm not sure what I'm looking at so not sure how to go about finding info on how to replace this with a shutoff valve.

TLDR;
Want to add shutoff to bathroom sink. Don't know what I'm looking at or how to do it. Please send me some info.

p.jpeg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are not a plumber, but do you have any skills and some tools?

If yes, you can add shut off valves. There are publications with pictures and step by step - just pick one of those and see if you can handle the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks