Need help with garbage disposal and air admittance vent

Users who are viewing this thread

strikercyb

Reaction score
Seeking advice on these issues.
1. water leaking out from top of garbage disposal (the joint right above the dishwasher drain pipe). Is there a replacement seal available?
2. Trying to install air admittance vent(s), what is the best way to plumb? The 45 degree bents after the p-traps is troublesome. Can I use one vent in the middle for both drains?

Any advices are appreciated.

IMG_1449.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score

strikercyb

Reaction score
On the AAVs, normally there would be vented sanitary tees in the wall. If you have those, no AAVs needed.

On the other question, weird, Sure that the connection of the dishwasher hose is not leaking? Or is the water coming from the sink above? I think https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-1-3-4-in-Rubber-Garbage-Disposal-Gasket-HDC2672C/316363196 may be the seal. I have never put in a disposal.
Maybe there needed to be more putty under the flange.
On the AAVs, normally there would be vented sanitary tees in the wall. If you have those, no AAVs needed.

On the other question, weird, Sure that the connection of the dishwasher hose is not leaking? Or is the water coming from the sink above? I think https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-1-3-4-in-Rubber-Garbage-Disposal-Gasket-HDC2672C/316363196 may be the seal. I have never put in a disposal.
Maybe there needed to be more putty under the flange.
The water actually was coming out the opposite side of the diswasher hose. From the big lock flange right above the bucket. Reason the water got that high in the disposal because ( I think) water trap in the pipe (apologize if I used the wrong terminology).
InkedIMG_1451.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
That looks badly installed, in the photo. Cocked.

Throw a level on the side of the disposal, near the blue bucket, and I think you will find it a fair amount off of vertical.

strikercyb

Reaction score
That looks badly installed, in the photo. Cocked.

Throw a level on the side of the disposal, near the blue bucket, and I think you will find it a fair amount off of vertical.
It's the angle I took the photo made the disposal looks that way.

strikercyb

Reaction score
Seeking advice on these issues.
1. water leaking out from top of garbage disposal (the joint right above the dishwasher drain pipe). Is there a replacement seal available?
2. Trying to install air admittance vent(s), what is the best way to plumb? The 45 degree bents after the p-traps is troublesome. Can I use one vent in the middle for both drains?

Any advices are appreciated.

View attachment 90486
What actually happened was the undermounted sink fell down due to bad installation. There weren't any mounting clips underneath the sink. The sink was held by very little epoxy and silicone caulk. I remounted the silk with proper mounting clips and silicone. However, upon reinstallation, the gasket or whatever is between the disposal flange and the body just doesn't give a good seal. Maybe i just have to buy a new disposal? Its still working fine by the way.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are there 4 long hanger screws? Two that I see come down lower than the nearest one. I presume there is a 4th one on the far side of the bucket photo.

Anyway, I would think those screws would have pretty much the same amount sticking down.

Or are there 3 hanger screws, and that thing I thought was a screw is something else.

I labeled A, B, and C.

Attachments

• img_2a.jpg
    img_2a.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

strikercyb

Reaction score
Are there 4 long hanger screws? Two that I see come down lower than the nearest one. I presume there is a 4th one on the far side of the bucket photo.

Anyway, I would think those screws would have pretty much the same amount sticking down.

Or are there 3 hanger screws, and that thing I thought was a screw is something else.
There are three bolts between the sink strainer and the flange, then there are three bolts (the ones protruding downward) is to mate the disposal to the flange via three keyholes. I guess this model is old so they don't use the modern locking mechanism. I just now found the part diagram online. There are two type of gaskets (2008, 2009) between the flange and the body of the disposal but apparently they're discontinued. I guess i have to buy a new disposal.
00009418i01.gif

just

Reach4

Reaction score
What is that thing that I labeled "2"?

The people on this forum prefer Insinkerator, and upgrading to one of the Evolution models is good. But the Badger is adequate.

strikercyb

Reaction score
What is that thing that I labeled "2"?

The people on this forum prefer Insinkerator, and upgrading to one of the Evolution models is good. But the Badger is adequate.
I don't see anything labeled "2"? But to answer your earlier post, "B" would be part # 2006 is the bolt to keep the flange tight to the body of the drain assembly(three bolts total). "A" and "C" have the same part # as "B" which is 2006 but bolted on the main body of the disposal then slide into the three keyholes on the flange (3 bolts total). If you look at the part diagram part # 2005, there are three keyholes and three round holes, round holes are for part "B" bolt upward pressed against part 2007 to hold it tight in place and keyholes are for part "A" and "C" to slide lock into place.

Reach4

Reaction score
Got it. Yes, I meant B.
Do you think 2009 might be the seal? You might want to phone the maker. They may have some tips or a way to get a new seal. Is this a new install?

strikercyb

Reaction score
Got it. Yes, I meant B.
Do you think 2009 might be the seal? You might want to phone the maker. They may have some tips or a way to get a new seal. Is this a new install?
I decided to buy a new disposal. As much as I don't like to throw thing away when its still working but it takes too much time at this point trying to obtain that gasket. The maker is GE Disposall GFC290-01.

Still have to figure out the admittance vent issue. Any pointers are appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Please explain why you think adding an AAV is needed.

strikercyb

Reaction score
Please explain why you think adding an AAV is needed.

When I run water down the sink, the water eventually back up and wont' drain as fast as the beginning, then some bubbles came up from the drain and water goes down until it back up again. I wasn't sure what was the problem but it seemed to me whomever plumb the sink didn't connect to the vent pipe. I don't want to open up the wall so I was hoping for a simpliest solution.

Fast foward...

I did install the AAV and water didn't back up so I'm "assuming" that was the problem? I don't know anything about plumbing, but it seems like it's working fine now. I did the same for the disposal side, however, water still back up a little bit when both the dishwasher and the faucet are running. Water never overflows or anything like that but I thought 1-1/2 drain pipe should be big enough to handle the dishwasher discharge and faucet running at the same time. Your thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am surprised that the AAV install helped this. Do you have a disposal? If so, pushing a flap down on the rubber splash guard can help. Then if that helps, you can trim the splash guard.

1.5 inch is enough I think.

How about a photo of your install, including the bottom of the sink basket, the entrance into the wall, and the AAV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks