Need help with deep sink with high drain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Jun12

Reaction score
Hi, I've been wrestling with this past few hours with no solution. We had new countertop and deeper sink installed, but found that the garbage disposal is lower than the drain by about 1 3/4 in. I've tried to move the pipes lower, but no can do. There is a 4x4 extending across the kitchen and the pipe is sitting on top of it. All I want to make sure is that there wont be water pooled inside the disposal. Advices will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
All I want to make sure is that there wont be water pooled inside the disposal. Advices will be much appreciated.
You will get no such assurance with the setup you describe.

Get rid of the disposal, get a different sink, or change the piping.

Jun12

Reaction score
You will get no such assurance with the setup you describe.

Get rid of the disposal, get a different sink, or change the piping.
I see. I feared as much. Looks like I'll have to spend more time with this. Thank you.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wait a second before you run to the store.
Is there a way to lower the drain connection to the drain in the wall?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I replaced a disposer in a rental last week. There was water standing in the old machine. The center of the stubout was 19.5 inches off the floor.

I hung the new disposer, then went to work to see if it were possible to remediate the situation. Trimmed the black drain pipe to try and get the p-trap up as high as it would go plus using a thinner metal nut to gain some altitude. The nut was a no-go, gained nothing there.

That was about all that could be done without hacking into the wall, and there was still a half-inch gap between the trap arm and the trap. Could have pushed the arm down and made the connection, but that would be unkosher.

Brought in a reversible trap kit from the van and installed that, not reversed, in place of the normal one. It went together nicely, gaining me the half inch I needed. To get it flat, that is.

No water standing in the bottom when I checked it out. I'll take it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks