Need help with compatibility of old Delta Shower Faucet

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by AdamCP, Feb 8, 2021.

1. AdamCP

AdamCP New Member

My home was built in 1994 and the shower/tub trim kit I'd like to replace is original (see pic). I thought that it was a 1500 series so I bought RP32104 cartridge from Delta and a 1700 series trim kit T17430-SS. However, when I went to take the old unit apart I noticed the trim ring screw holes were both at the bottom at roughly 5 and 7 o clock as opposed to 1 and 7 o clock on the new one. My question is can I find a compatible trim ring with the screw holes at the bottom and use the rest of what I bought, or is everything incompatible with the rough-in that's currently installed?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. Marlinman

Marlinman In the Trades

Remove your trim and look at the valve body. I still have some 1500 series valves and they will accept the screws at 5 and 7 and 8 and 2 as well.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. AdamCP

AdamCP New Member

You were right. There were 4 screw holes in the rough in, so the escutcheon fit just fine. However, the old assembly had a threaded bonnet nut and the replacement kit I bought just has an unthreaded sleeve. So I've had to Frankenstein it for now until I can figure out what piece to get to make everything stay in place tightly. If I slide this unthreaded sleeve over it fits just fine, but it doesn't hold the cartridge in nice and tight. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Marlinman

Marlinman In the Trades

6. JohnE316

JohnE316 New Member

I just did the same replacement.... The o-ring that @Marlinman has in his photo goes on. It makes for a tight fit though. I used some liquid soap to lubricate it so I could push it on over the ring.

Also, I had the same issue with the screw locations. I wonder if they make a longer screw. The one at 1 o'clock is set deeper on my valve (I think it was plumbed in crooked).

7. Marlinman

Marlinman In the Trades

For a longer screw Delta has a RP12630SS that is 4" long. Or you can pick one up at most hardware stores. The thread size is 10-24. Make certain the screw is stainless steel.