Need help with broken fitting to pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

KineticoUser

Reaction score
I just came home from work to find a flood by my home's pressure tanks for my water well. The 1-1/4" male adapter broke. The challenge is the limited space available. I only have 1-1/2" of pipe between the tee and the broken adapter. Here is a picture of it: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnhFeJX0YorisUCVV6YNYHxXya08

If I cut off the bad adapter and put a new one one, it will bring the tank too close to the pump. If I add a coupling in between, it pushes the tank too far away (a wall is on the other side). If a street male or female adapter was made, it would do the trick, but I've never seen one of those. I need to attach the broken end to a union which would then attach to the pipe coming out of the tank.

I've used the YouTube video that shows how to heat up a metal pipe and place it inside a PVC pipe to remove the PVC pipe from a fitting, and it worked well, but this is on the outside, not the inside. Is it possible to heat the broken part of the adapter so it can be removed and replaced?

The maximum pressure I run in my system is 60psi, though I'd say 75psi to play it safe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Unscrew the galv coupling from the 10" nipple going under the tank. Screw on a 1 1/4" female adapter. Glue a slip X slip coupling onto the PVC pipe after cutting off the broken fitting. Then all you need to do is cut a piece of PVC pipe the right length, and shove the tank forward to glue the pipe between the female adapter and coupling.

Or if you really want to save some space AND get stronger constant pressure to the house, now is the time to install a PK1A, which only needs a 4.5 gallon size tank.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
Thank you for helping me get my head on straight. I knew there was a simple solution, but my mind wasn't taking me there (Senior Fog?). I'll just remove the galvanized coupling and attach the union directly to the nipple coming out of the tank. I'll then cut off the broken adapter on the pipe and then attach a coupling, small piece of 1-1/4" pipe and then the male adapter (which will screw into the other side of the union). Quick, easy and inexpensive

As far as the PK1A goes, I'd love to learn how it reduces cycling of the pressure pump. Right now I have two V250 pressure tanks. The PK1A is definitely more cost effective than replacing these tanks, though the tanks are working fine now. Would one PK1A replace both my tanks, or would I need a larger system. If I could maintain a steady 50PSI, whether for irrigation or taking a shower, that would be plenty good. Reducing the cycling on the pressure pump would make that last longer, so that is a significant advantage. Those pumps aren't cheap.

Thanks again.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as that pump puts out less than 25 GPM, then yes the PK1A can replace both of those tanks. Even if the pump is bigger than 25 GPM, you can still use a Cycle Stop Valve and small tank, it just maybe a larger model than the the CSV1A that comes in the PK1A kit.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
I have a F&W CJ101B201 2HP pump. It puts out 40gpm @ 40psi, 34gpm @ 50psi & 26gpm @ 60psi. What would work for this pump?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There are two CSV's that would work with that pump. I would use either the CSV12560-3, or the CSV3B2T. They both do the same job, just the CSV125 is a plastic valve that only costs 63 bucks, where the CSV3B2T is a metal valve, (much heavier duty and adjustable) but is $647.50. Either of these would work with a single 40 gallon size pressure tank. If it is good clean water the $63 CSV will last a long time. If it has any dirt or iron in the water, the CSV3B would be best. And even with the $647.50 valve using only a 40 gallon size tank is much less expensive than two big tanks like you have, that still won't do the job the CSV will do.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. It's unlikely to find a well that doesn't have any dirt or iron, so I'd need to go with the metal one. That's a bit steep for what I have available right now, but I will keep you in mind when I am ready to make this change.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
They are Gould V250 tanks. I've only adjusted the precharge air once, when I chose to up the pressure of the system beyond the original installed pressure. They still look and work great. I think they'll outlast my primary 10,000 gallon water tank. I've been patching pinhole leaks in that for the past couple of years.

Reach4

Reaction score
They are Gould V250 tanks. I've only adjusted the precharge air once, when I chose to up the pressure of the system beyond the original installed pressure.
Thanks. My Flexcon Challenger was installed 15 years ago. installed 11-05-02, date code =10/09/02

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks