Need help with bottle drain installation

Users who are viewing this thread

uscpsycho

Reaction score
I have a sink where I want to install a bottle drain. Problem is the drain in the wall isn't perfectly aligned with the sink drain. I'd say it's maybe 1/2" off. That's obviously a problem because a bottle trap pipe has to go straight back.

Is there any way to make the connection between the pipe in the wall and the bottle drain pipe? Maybe some kind of flexible pipe? Or something with an adjustable angle joint?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And that's why we don't install many bottle drains. It has to be perfect.
Can you use flex? They make that stuff now. Arrghhh! Sure.

k-9033.jpg

This is how they are supposed to look.

Last edited:

uscpsycho

Reaction score
And that's why we don't install many bottle drains. It has to be perfect.
Can you use flex? They make that stuff now. Arrghhh! Sure.
I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you saying they make a flex pipe? Can you share a link to this? I talked to two plumbers who said no such thing exists.

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
How motivated are you? You could fill a straight chrome-plated brass tube with sand or ice. Then try the bend. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-36470.html

Take pictures in case it is successful; you will want to share. If it fails, you are just out the price of the tube.

Alternatively, if you are motivated, you could open the wall and rotate the santee a bit. That would probably take two pipe cuts and two banded couplers. The cuts would be fairly easy with plastic pipe, but you would probably need your drywall guy to close it back up.

Or maybe a nice conventional chrome P-trap is starting to look better to you now.

uscpsycho

Reaction score
I don't think bending a pipe is the way to go here.

I was imagining something like a braided flex line for faucets. It's so close to being in perfect alignment I would just need a couple of inches to make the connection. It can't be all kinds of crazy down there or it defeats the purpose of the bottle trap, which is to look beautiful.

If there's no way to do this and keep it looking clean it's going to have to be a conventional p trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks