Need help wiring generator to well pump and control box

Users who are viewing this thread

WannabeeDIYer

Reaction score
We (my wife and I) recently purchased some property with a well on it. The water sample test is expired and we need to do another one before we can get a building permit. I've been quoted $500 just to bring a truck out. This doesn't include work need to take a sample. I was quoted this price because it's on an island and requires a ferry ride and they have to take their truck out of service for the day. Now that you know my story here's where I'm hoping to get some help with taking a water sample myself. Here are the specs below:

Control box is CentriPro model CB10412 HP 1, Volts 230
Well pump is Gould's 18GS10412CL, 18GPM, 1HP, 230V, 3 Wire, 4" Stainless Steel Submersible
Generator I will use is Troy-Bilt 6250 running watts and 8500 starting watts
I'm planning use a NEMA L14-30 type 4 prong to 3 prong adapter and 12 gauge wire
I will make sure to remove 1" plastic adapter from end of pitless adapter to make sure water is flowing.

So here's how I think I should hook everything up. Connect the 3 wires from the NEMA L14-30 (3 prong side) adapter to L1, L2 and ground screw in the control box and plug the 4 prong end into the generator. Then connect the Black, Red, Yellow and Green wires to R,Y,B and ground screw in the control box. Start the generator and let it settle and warm up. Then flip the 30a circuit breaker to turn on the pump. Can someone tell me if this is correct or not or am I missing something? Thanks for your time.

controlbox.png
wellpumpwires.png

Reach4

Reaction score
If the water test includes a bacterial test, you may want to sanitize a few weeks before.

Sanity check:
(yellow-red)Start winding about 11 ohms + round trip wire resistance

(yellow-black) main winding about 2.6 ohms +round trip wire resistance

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I assume you need a coliform bacteria test and a nitrate test. Does your county (Thurston?) also require an arsenic test? An arsenic test isn’t usually required here in eastern Washington, but is in some counties in the west side of the state. The tests do need to be done by a Washington state accredited water testing lab. You only have 24 hours from the time you take a coliform bacteria water sample till it arrives at the lab. And then the culture it at a specific temperature for another 24 hours. So they don’t accept samples on fridays.

The nitrate test is easy to take. The water just has to be clear, with no discoloration.

The bacteria test is the hardest to get a satisfactory reading. I have a specific procedure I use, and I use a special type of disinfectant. Not Clorox and not swimming pool bleach.

WannabeeDIYer

Reaction score
So I assume you need a coliform bacteria test and a nitrate test. Does your county (Thurston?) also require an arsenic test? An arsenic test isn’t usually required here in eastern Washington, but is in some counties in the west side of the state. The tests do need to be done by a Washington state accredited water testing lab. You only have 24 hours from the time you take a coliform bacteria water sample till it arrives at the lab. And then the culture it at a specific temperature for another 24 hours. So they don’t accept samples on fridays.

The nitrate test is easy to take. The water just has to be clear, with no discoloration.

The bacteria test is the hardest to get a satisfactory reading. I have a specific procedure I use, and I use a special type of disinfectant. Not Clorox and not swimming pool bleach.

Thank you this is very good information. I've seen post on the internet about using Clorox and I was already somewhat skeptical about pouring bleach in the well. The well was tested and passed before but it's been over a year and now the test is expired. We tried to get an extension but that was not an option. You are correct we have to get the sample to the lab within 24hrs. We have a person that's handing the permitting paperwork so she's going to be taking the sample to the lab for us. She's done this in the past many times so we got that covered. I just wanted to make sure my setup in my original post was correct from the generator to the control box and well pump. The property is in pierce county by the way. Thanks again for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks