Need help selecting a new pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian04

Reaction score
My 2hp 20 gpm A. Y. Mcdonald pump is nearing the end of its life. It has supplied irrigation water to a 4 acre vineyard for 10 years which historically is about all I get out of a submersible pump. I have 3 ppm iron in my well which clogs things up after awhile. Well is 186 ft deep with a static water table at 18 feet and the pump is set at 85 feet. I use a 350-well-x-trol pressure tank with pressure set at 50 to 70psi.

I have the well record from 1975 and well was pumped at 50 gal/min with a drawdown of 100 feet. It's an 8-inch bore and could provide far more water than I use. For a replacemnt I am considering three pumps and would like help in choosing or even other pump suggestions. I'm considering possibly going with a Grundfos pump and using a Franklin motor.

Grundfos 22SQ15-220 11/2hp
Grundfos 25s20-11 SP SERIES 2hp
A.Y. McDonald 23200M3 2hp

If I am reading the graphs correctly these would all supply the needed water and are similar to what I have now. I need at least 10 gpm at ~200' of head. Pressure is not so important as my irrigation is all through pressure compensating emitters. My calculation for 'head' is rough as the supply lines run for hundreds of feet and are 11/2"and 1" pvc and 3/4 irrigation pipe.

Are the Grundfos SQ or SQE pumps worth considering for this kind of application?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks