Need help removing Moen Posi-Temp cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Ed.

Reaction score
Hello, I've search many sites/YouTube looking for help trying to remove this valve stem in order to change the cartridge but no luck. I first removed the handle from a Moen single-handle, push/pull shower valve and now challenged by this. It has a small Phillips screw hidden down the center which I also removed but cannot seem to pull this off. Any suggestions?

valve.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Can you get a photo from another angle? I have three fixtures with Moen valves and have replaced all of them since moving in. That's not looking familiar, though. Mine all had a little keyed brass stubout that the handle screwed into and moved back and forth and turned to adjust temp.

I did invest in a specialty tool that attaches to the handle and gives you more leverage to pull the cartridge. For most of them, just having the T handle helped enough. I found mine at HD, but the genuine Moen ones are available as well.

Ed.

Reaction score
Can you get a photo from another angle? I have three fixtures with Moen valves and have replaced all of them since moving in. That's not looking familiar, though. Mine all had a little keyed brass stubout that the handle screwed into and moved back and forth and turned to adjust temp.

I did invest in a specialty tool that attaches to the handle and gives you more leverage to pull the cartridge. For most of them, just having the T handle helped enough. I found mine at HD, but the genuine Moen ones are available as well.
Thank you. I'll take more photos once I get home later this afternoon.

Ed.

Reaction score
The end piece is held on with a screw. That comes off first.
Then the tube slips off behind, which allows you to remove the clip that holds the cartridge in.
It's a Moen Posi-Temp valve.
Thanks. I already tried with minimal force but suspect I need to apply more pulling force to get it out once the screw is removed. Does this sound right?

Reaction score
Ah apologies on my end. You said Posi temp and I have a Moentrol.

That tool I linked to supposed works with the 1222 Posi Temp valves but I have never dealt with those.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks