Need help quick!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
I have an 18" push broom with a cracked handle. A search of the internet, as well as a trip to the big box stores, shows that a OEM replacement handle costs about $6, while the fiberglass upgrade runs about $12!!!
I'm thinking that I'll get the OEM replacement, but want to protect it from cracking again. I thought about using a CSV to keep the pressure on the handle constant as I then wouldn't have to push and pull the broom back and forth to sweep up the dirt. I could just push it straight ahead. However, I'm not sure how to mount it. I then briefly considered a VFD, which would allow me to ramp up to sweeping speed and ramp back down again when I finished, thereby easing the load on the handle. After careful thought, I decided against the VFD, as it would be operating in very dusty conditions which would be hard on the electronics.
My next thought was to scrap the broom all together. I'm thinking about a big blower, something along the lines of 500,000 CFM. I have a high performance Chevy 396, out of a '68 Supersport (which I could bore out .030 over and get headers for, if I need a few more horses). Do you think the motor would be big enough, and what size nozzle would I need on the hose to handle this much air?
Any ideas???
Please keep your replies brief (5,000 words or less) as I don't have much time to work on this. I have company coming this weekend, and I need to sweep the patio.
Thanks!!!

Raucina

Reaction score
In this application the CSV or CGV II would be my choice. Report back on the result.

R

Rancher

Pig Poop

You don't really need to sweep the patio, if you did then it wouldn't match the two old washing machines out in the yard, (one of them on it's side used as a dog house) and the old refrigerator laying on it back that ya use for keeping the beer cold on Monday night football nights. And you know them pigs and chickens are just going to poop on your clean patio anyhow. Is that 68 Supersport for sale?

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
More horsepower than mine.

My 68 Malibu 4 speed only had a 327 engine, so I guess Ron's broom will blow mine away! (get it?)

atfdmike

Reaction score
Windage

Looks as though if we allow for distance and effort, there might be a way to convert the windage in this thread in to usable energy, thus obviating the need for brooms, CSV's or other technical solutions!!!:p

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Broom handle update

Thanks to all of you for your responses concerning my broom handle problem.
Before I decided which way to proceed, I spoke to my nearly eighty year old father about it.
We got us a cold beer out of the fridge that's lying on it's back and sat down on the two old washing machines (one's a dog house now) that are lying in the back yard. He began to tell me about when he was a little boy and had to sweep the patio with an old push broom. The dirt on the patio was about knee high and no matter which way he swept, it was uphill. He told me the handle on the broom cracked several times through the years, but he'd just get out the Scotch 33+ electrical tape and put it back together. Well, to make a long story short, listening to his story between the squeal of the pigs and the crowing of the roosters, I began to long for the old days. I made the decision right then and there: I got out the tape, wrapped up the crack in the handle and started sweeping. The old man had reminded me that the simple things in life were worth preserving.
Thanks again!!
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks