Need help pulling this cap and drop pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

pyro1955

Reaction score
20200809_100505.jpg
What is the best way to pull this cap, with drop pipe and foot valve, this is a 2 inch galvanized casing.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the question. You just need to watch your back (lift with your knees) or use mechanical advantage if you cannot lift it.

pyro1955

Reaction score
Not sure I understand the question. You just need to watch your back (lift with your knees) or use mechanical advantage if you cannot lift it.
I tried with an engine hoist, could not get the strap to stay on to get any lift.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Maybe you need a different strap? Fold the strap so it is double and form a half-hitch loop in the middle so that the two strap ends are on opposite sides.
When you start pulling, place a hardwood block on top of the two-pipe adapter and pound down on it to break it free.

pyro1955

Reaction score
View attachment 65056 What is the best way to pull this cap, with drop pipe and foot valve, this is a 2 inch galvanized casing.
Finally got it pulled this weekend. There was just over 30 ft of pipe down the well, total depth appears 42 ft, static water level appeared to be about 23 ft. Pipe had many areas of apparent pitting on outside of drop pipe so it may have been a big part of the problem. Replaced all pipe, new foot valve and new leathers. Primed the pump and it now holds prime, I don't think the leathers are sealed yet how long do they need to swell? Hoping by next weekend it will be working like it used to.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It doesn't take long for the leathers to swell as much as they are going to. If they are not holding you may need to raise or lower the pipe to get the leathers in a spot that isn't pitted.

Reach4

Reaction score
If there is a problem with the jet down the hole, that would cause a problem. Did you clean the jet? Does your pump pump water, but just at a much lower pressure or flow than it should? Or does it not deliver water?

I don't know how you detect holding prime or not. Do you say that because the pump pumps a little, or because you can pour water from up top without it dropping? I would think leaky leathers would let water go back into the well.

I really have no experience with jet pumps, and I don't feel very confident in understanding them.

pyro1955

Reaction score
If there is a problem with the jet down the hole, that would cause a problem. Did you clean the jet? Does your pump pump water, but just at a much lower pressure or flow than it should? Or does it not deliver water?

I don't know how you detect holding prime or not. Do you say that because the pump pumps a little, or because you can pour water from up top without it dropping? I would think leaky leathers would let water go back into the well.

I really have no experience with jet pumps, and I don't feel very confident in understanding them.

Before I
pulled it I could pour water in like 5 or 6 gallons and it would not stay filled. Did clean the jet and replaced the foot valve and all new pipe and new leathers. It was pumping but very slow, probably need to reset the pump as well. Will see this weekend. Have compared well logs in the area to what I measured and we are in the ball park for the areA.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks