Need help on stem removal an an American Standard bathtub 3 handle fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

stogie4me

Reaction score
I seem to have an American Standard 3 handle bath/shower fixture. This house was built in 1964 and I have not been able to find a lot of information on the removal of this particular style of stem. I believe it is a colony type faucet.
I have seen an older post about pulling the stem out (hard) but wanted to know if anyone knows what I am working with and the proper procedure to get the stem out.
I have a pretty serious leak and need to repair the stem.
Thank you all in advance.
I'll add a few pics.

Attachments

• P1050049.JPG
    P1050049.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 847
  • P1050050.JPG
    P1050050.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 816
  • P1050051.JPG
    P1050051.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 738

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The part of the stem that unthreads is behind the tile. Your tile setter is too tight around the stems. You will need to chip out some tile. It unthreads. What you have removed is the bonnet nut.

Asktom

Reaction score
Put the packing nut back in before you unscrew the stem assembly (using a shower socket) or you may distort and ruin it. Turn the valve to the on position before you take it out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If I remember correctly, the bonnet has two flats on the sides to remove it, not a hex, and if so, it will be very difficult to remove it since it inside the wall.

Asktom

Reaction score
I think HJ is right about the two flats. If so, do an internet search of "American Standard Colony shower socket". They are a bit obscure, but they are out there. I think Mat Manufacturing makes them, but doubt you could buy from them directly. The socket would be worth owning since you have those valves tiled in. You also ought to change the seats while you have it all apart.

Reaction score
From the pics, it appears the nut that holds the stem threads has been tiled up. This is why you still can't unthread the stem, it is stopping at its maximum 'ON' position.

You'll need to meticulously chisel and grin away all mortar and tile that is touching the brass (you have up until the escutcheon to work with), and be able to grip the brass from behind thru the drywall on the otherside.

Unless there is some serious corrosion with the valve's metal parts, the only thing that needs to be swapped with these old stems are the bibb washer, and if required, the bibb seat.

First get a good understanding of your stem and parts. This bible has always bailed me out because it has every stem imaginable all in one lookup:

http://www.kissler.com/Downloads/Faucet Stems_B.pdf

Note: Your leak has nothing to do with the packing material, its purpose is to stop stems from dribbling out the handles, as the path of least resistance will be the spout or showerhead. Re-packing these old stems with new material will make them turn and swivel easier.

stogie4me

Reaction score
Camera images are not that good but I have cleaned all the grout and chipped away the tile to get a look in there.
Someone said this could be a compression stem. I have no idea but there isn't any nut to put a wrench on.
If you saw the link that I put up, in the picture in the link you may see what I'm up against.

Attachments

• P1150055.JPG
    P1150055.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 551
  • P1150054.JPG
    P1150054.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 654

stogie4me

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried to keep it neat and see if there was a nut in there to put a wrench on.

If you look back at my original post, the first pic shows you what I could get out. Someone said it was the packing nut. It is corroded onto the trim sleeve. If you need me to take it apart again and take a pic of it let me know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your first 3 pics are all pics of your shower wall with parts missing, but DOESN'T show the actual pieces.

I want you to place the REMOVED part elsewhere, on the floor, and take a picture of that part on the floor.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might be able to unscrew it by griping the stem that is sticking out of the wall with vice grips and turning it counterclockwise.

Reaction score
From the new pics supplied, I am like 60% sure that the stem stick is just being stubborn and can be yanked out.

You may believe it is "stuck" because the rubber bibb washer on the end of it, that you don't see, has expanded and is larger than the diameter of your valve.

To be more sure, you have to hit the kissler bible and see if you can match it up.

stogie4me

Reaction score
From the new pics supplied, I am like 60% sure that the stem stick is just being stubborn and can be yanked out.

You may believe it is "stuck" because the rubber bibb washer on the end of it, that you don't see, has expanded and is larger than the diameter of your valve.

To be more sure, you have to hit the kissler bible and see if you can match it up.
Would you mind looking at this ebay link. It shows a pic of what I think I am working with. It looks like a compression washer after the bib washer (a wavy looking washer) and I am wondering if that is what is keeping the stem in there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tub-and-Sho...andles-Includes-all-seats-stems-/281366833763

stogie4me

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks