Need help installing utility sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

southmax

Reaction score
I have a utility basin that I am trying to set up in an old house. I am new to plumbing and am wanting to make sure I get this set up for as inexpensive as possible. I have two 3/8" copper water lines coming from the floor. At the end of these lines are compression fit brass 1/2" adapters. They are both currently plugged with 1/2" plastic plugs. I would like to put a cutoff valve on these lines because I am having to cut off water to the whole place to do any work.

Will the standard cutoff valves labeled for iron pipe work for this? I have a couple that seem to screw on and fit fine, but I am worried if there is any problem mixing the copper/brass/iron in this line. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I won't need this setup but for only a few months so I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would :
- Shut off the main
- Remove these two compression male adopters, clean the risers (they look 1/2" in the pic) and install two compression shut off valve (angle stops).
- Turn the main on, check for leaks.

Next you will need a drain with vent.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Galvanic action is the least of your worries, judging from the picture. Your lavatory risers may come up a bit short, but they are not expensive.
The beadboard sends a chill up my spine. Down South, huh?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks