Need help installing shower pan that is smaller than stud to stud spacing

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY DAD 2591

Reaction score
Hi all, and thanks for the help. I have a bathroom that is 12 ft long by 5 ft and a half inch wide so 60.5 inches wide. my shower pan is 60 inches wide so what do I do with this half inch gap? should I split the difference and fir out both ends by a 1/4 inch? should I fir out one side a half inch? which side, the faucet side or opposite? should I not fir out anything and just make like a half inch shelf lol?
biggrin.png
also since I cant have the cement board to drywall transition flush, how do I hide the exposed cement board and sides of the tile? bullnose wont work I don't think, all it would cover is the sides of the tile, but the cement board and thin set would still show.
vs_mad.gif

20171219_212658.jpg
20171219_212716.jpg
Screenshot_20171219-213116.jpg
Screenshot_20171219-212958.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a deficiency in your framing around the window.

You are missing jack studs to support the header (which is 3" too short and has to be replaced).

Whether you did the framing or not, it has to be brought up to code before you can proceed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YEAH! Like that is going to happen. Center the shower. Bring the cement board down to the flange on the base, then tile over it.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Typical cbu used on the walls for a shower is 1/2" thick, so even if the pan was shifted to one side, the cbu and tile would cover the edge.

Instead of cement board (cbu) on the wall, you could consider using something like KerdiBoard, which is a tileable foam panel...easy to cut a dado on the bottom to lap over the tiling flange, and once bonded to the pan and you waterproof the seams and screwholes holding it up, your entire shower wall to pan would be waterproof verses water resistant above the pan. CBU is not waterproof, but is not damaged by being wet. KerdiBoard (and WediBoard) are waterproof (similar products). Much easier to carry home, cut, and properly install than CBU, and waterproof as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks