Need help identifying this cast iron fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

grumpydad

Reaction score
Hello guys,

First of all thank you for all the combined expertise here in plumbing. I have learned a lot from here while hanging around without registering.

I have this cast iron fitting sticking out of the floor in my basement that I have exhausted my Google-fu trying to identify what it is and how it connects to the 1-1/2" PVC pipe above.

The PVC pipe serves as a drain for the kitchen sink upstairs and also a laundry sink and a standpipe downstairs. There appears to be no separate vents for the laundry sink or standpipe. Not sure if this is ok.

I am in Minnesota so MN plumbing code before 2015, UPC now.

IMG_20210916_201722.jpg
IMG_20210916_201647.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The fitting is a tapped HUB 45 deg and the PVC appears to have been installed using GOD KNOWS WHAT

Possibly a rag / oakum and lots of caulking

grumpydad

Reaction score
Thanks! At least I know what the fitting is called now!

Do you also think if there is a bushing between the PVC and the tapped hub? What would be the size of the hub then?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Years ago when we had to caulk a galvanized pipe into a hub we would cut a galvanized coupling in half so it would not pass through the hub and allow for a proper caulk joint

In your case I have no idea what they did other then saying is is sloppy and improperly installed

Reach4

Reaction score
What would be the size of the hub then?
What is the OD of the hub? I suspect that is a 2 inch, but check dimensions.
See page 16 of https://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/CI_Technical_Manual/CI_Technical_Manual.pdf

Why are you asking? Got an action in mind?

I would get two stainless steel digital calipers: a long-reach one https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-long-reach-digital-caliper-63714.html, and one that has inside and outside measuring. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-digital-caliper-63711.html

Last edited:

grumpydad

Reaction score
Why are you asking? Got an action in mind?
I am putting in a laundry room and bathroom in the general area this pipe is in and wonder if it is worth the effort to upsize the PVC to 2" or just install a saniflo system and call it a day.

There is already 1.5" piping for a laundry sink and a standpipe but they are not vented at all. They are using the kitchen sink drain, which is the PVC pipe, as vent.

Plus, they don't work with the layout I have in mind

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am putting in a laundry room and bathroom in the general area this pipe is in and wonder if it is worth the effort to upsize the PVC to 2" or just install a saniflo system and call it a day.

If you're installing a bathroom and you have the option of connecting to a gravity drain, that is hands down the better option. It requires a minimum 3" drain. I would carefully read the requirements for a Saniflo connection as well. I thought that they wanted to be connected to 3" as well due to the pump volume.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut the floor and install 3" pipe for a toilet.

Saniflo is only if they're is no realistic way. Thats my opinion. Id rather do the work and not fix gunked up junk later.

When I say gunked up I mean gunked up with poop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks