Need help identifying shower diverter valve

Users who are viewing this thread

pfreeze

Reaction score
Hi All!

My name is Paul and I have minimal plumbing experience. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, my shower diverter valve began not diverting water to the shower as it should when I turn it. In the process of removing it, I broke the stem.

Anyway, I took it to Home Depot, but their plumbing guy couldn't identify it and thought it might be European or maybe even Spanish. I took it to an expert plumbing store, but they couldn't match it in their reference book, although they thought it might be a Grohe.

Attached is a photo. It is at least 15 years old and has a 20 spline broach. Any help is appreciated.

Paul
Diverter Valve.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Grohe does not have splines. It does have some similarities to a Kohler, which does have a 20 spline stem, although the handle does not look like a Kohler.

pfreeze

Reaction score
Thank you

My sentiments exactly....I don't mind replacing if I have to, but if I can replace this valve and avoid redoing the shower tile to install a whole new faucet system, I'll go that route for now.

Thank you for the info on the Eljer EL5011. The schematic looks about right on, so I'll follow up with the local experts or with Alfano and see what happens.

Paul

Well, replacing the whole vavle is a drastic step! Finding the part may be hard, but there are some resources. One of the best is newyorkreplaement parts http://www.********.com/ but I don't know if they will help you via email or not.

Another is alfano http://www.alfanoplumbingparts.com/faucetre.html
Look at Eljer EL5011 on the alfano diverter catalog.

pfreeze

Reaction score
So, as an update, turns out the guy at Home Depot was right. My shower valves and master sink valves are Spanish. I found the name "Docol". Looked it up at Chicago Faucet Shoppe and found the diverter for about $25 (Docal 89200 Diverter Cartridge). Lot better than breaking out tile!

Thank you for your help.

Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks