Need help identifying rough-in pipes in basement bathroom area

Users who are viewing this thread

Ameer Flynn

Reaction score
Hey All, I'm new to the forums,

Hoping someone can help me identifying the pipes in the attached drawing of my basement. Only one I'm certain of is the toilet and maybe the sink. A couple of things

• Item A is 24" from the west wall. Its a pre-cut opening in the concrete with a pipe sticking out
  • Item B is 26" from west wall and 12.5" from south wall
  • Item C is the PVC pipe running along the wall, about 5.5 to 6ft up
  • Item D, which I think is the sink pipe, is about 88" from west wall and roughly 13" from south wall
  • Item E, which should be the toilet, is 49" from west wall and 28" from south wall
Which pipe is which and how would I tie this in to the pipe running along the wall(or would I at all?)

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 1,250
  • tempFileForShare_20190716-185629.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20190716-185629.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 408

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might post a better overall photo.. But throwing out a wild guess.

1.5" under gravel = tub drain with 2" vent next to it.
3" is probably a toilet drain
2" to the right is likely a sink drain.

Ameer Flynn

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply, what you're saying makes sense. Issue im having is if the pipe next to the tub p trap is a vent, which I agree it is, there's nothing I see in the ceiling to tie it in to in the area.

I did however notice what appears to be a vent pipe that ties in to the ejector pump vent pipe, I've attached a pic. This pipe is roughly 20 feet from where the rough ins are at. Could it be that the rough ins from the bathroom area are using this as the collective vent? If so what would this mean for the vent pipe next to the tub p trap?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190723-015735_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190723-015735_Gallery.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 503

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with the assessment of Tuttles Revenge.

If the question is “can I tie the bathtub vent into the ejector vent?” Yes. If it’s not feasible, you could use an air admittance valve in the wall.

I’m not sure I fully understand the situation, though. Are your walls not open? Can you not just tie into the lav’s continuous vent?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pipe circled in blue is a vent. It shouldn't be a collective vent for the other fixtures 20ft away since all vents should not connect together until they've reached an elevation of no less than 6 inches above the flood level of the fixture they're connecting to. In other words, you don't want to connect your vents in such a way that a clog in the downstream drain overflows into another fixture without flooding the fixture its clogging.

It could be a single vent for another fixture.. it could be a collective vent if someone didn't understand how to install plumbing properly..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks