Need help identifying 1950s Kohler shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

ilovesalt

Reaction score
I’m looking replacement stems that are compatible with the existing valve and handles. Local hardware stores don’t seem to have many Kohler replacement stems in stock at the moment, so I’m trying to gather as much information before resorting to shutting off the supply to take the stems out and measure them. I’m seeing similar vintage Kohler faucets online, but none with the smooth face on the handles. My hope is to find a parts diagram that show what kind of stems are used.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

kohler-3-handle-pink.jpg

brassmonkey621

Reaction score
Hello, how did this go for you? I have the same set up and have a question. I told my buddy that I could not turn my cold water faucet more than a few centimeters and he told me I likely just needed to replace the cartridge on it and that it would be easy ha! See photo for where I am at, but I cannot get this piece off. My buddy says it should be able to pull off - I removed all the gunk but its still not budging when I pull. What am I missing here? I am a newbie at this.

Attachments

• IMG_5919.jpg
    IMG_5919.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_5915.jpg
    IMG_5915.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 230

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
At this point you have only removed the packing nut and escutcheon nipple. Those pieces need to be reinstalled back into the hex shaped bonnet nut to protect it from damage. Remove the larger bonnet nut and the stem unit pulls out. This is what it should look like. Ocassionaly you will see the 2nd stem unit without the barrel.

1675610303431.png

1675610784772.png

brassmonkey621

Reaction score
Thank you for your help! I thought that was the case but since I have no experience, I had to go off what I was being told by my buddy, plus I don't want to break anything!! I plan to buy the replacement part today. I'll have to buy something to get that bonnet nut off, my existing sockets are not deep enough. Do you have a recommend tool to remove it?

ColoradoSG

Reaction score
At this point you have only removed the packing nut and escutcheon nipple. Those pieces need to be reinstalled back into the hex shaped bonnet nut to protect it from damage. Remove the larger bonnet nut and the stem unit pulls out. This is what it should look like. Ocassionaly you will see the 2nd stem unit without the barrel.

View attachment 90593

View attachment 90594
Hi Marlinman. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on these sets. I have a similar set but from 1939. It does not have the secondary exterior nut to loosen the stem assembly like brass monkey posted but is smooth and round. What is the way I can remove the stem in this case? Thanks so much for any help you can provide

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks