Need help fixing Coleman #7680 furnace shut off due to hazard notice

Users who are viewing this thread

flyforadiyguy

Reaction score
Hi, my MIL received a hazard notice on her furnace and the gas company shut it down until we get these items fixed. She's been sitting in a cold house for three days!

Problems called out in the hazard notice:
- "Sight glass cap missing"- I found the cap and put it back on so that's one off the list.
- "Side cover to valve missing" - this one is a head scratcher. Any ideas what this could be?

Here's a picture that perhaps someone can find the "side cover to valve" part?
IMG_4373 Large.jpeg

IMG_4376 Large.jpeg

flyforadiyguy

Reaction score
What's the model and serial number. Looks like a mobile home unit.

Hi Fitter, it is indeed for a mobile home. Model is Coleman 7680 and serial number is 77380492.

I just spoke to the utility (PG&E in CA) and explained that the "sight glass" cap appeared to be off when they inspected it but that it's 100% metal. Should the port hole have mica in it somehow? I have seen caps with glass in them so this might be a code upgrade but I would think it's sufficient that the cap completely seals the hole when on.

As for the "side cover to valve missing," I am awaiting a response to what that is exactly but would appreciate any help on what that might be referring to so I can get it fixed.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Here's a exploded view sight glass is the screwed on cap in the middle of the circle above gas valve. There's just a bracket holding the valve. New sight glass with shipping close to $90

Last edited:

flyforadiyguy

Reaction score
Here's a exploded view sight glass is the screwed on cap in the middle of the circle above gas valve
It's hard to see the part itself in that view but the part description does say "Cap (w/sight glass)" which does match that reproduction part.

As you can see in the first picture, the cap is of solid metal similar to one a mineral spirits can would have. We have another inspection but if they insist on the one with glass they can repair it for us. Turns out the upgrade program will do the repairs free of cost! They didn't make this clear which could have avoided having to hunt for answers online. ;)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks