Need help finding replacement tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

l2izwan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Please help me..my upstairs bathroom tub wasn't diverting the water to the shower. I tried fixing it by getting a danco spout diverter kit but that didn't work...then I got a replacement Moen which looks exactly the same but doesn't fit..

Here are the images:

l2izwan-03.jpg
l2izwan-02.jpg
l2izwan-01.jpg

Your help would be appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looking at the instructions, the copper from the wall needs to be between 1.5" and 3" long.
That means picking up a tubing cutter and leaving about 2.5" from the wall to slip the tub spout on and then snug up with an Allen wrench.

l2izwan

Reaction score
Any way I can do it without touching the original pipe from the wall..I'm afraid I'll do something which will cause me additional work

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your original spout screwed on, and while you can find new ones to screw on, finding one where the internal threads are at the right depth so it will close up on the wall when tight enough on the threads to make a seal may be an issue.

There are basically two types of tub spout attachments:
- push on (no threads - goes onto a bare pipe)
- threaded on. That has a couple of flavors as well, with one, the spout just threads onto the fitting on the pipe, on the other, there are two threaded connections - one to thread a special adapter onto the part sticking out of the wall, and a second one that the spout threads onto. Then, the spout threads onto that special adapter.

Without cutting or changing things, you have to POSSIBILITY of using one of the second options. This adapter works with some of the Delta tub spouts. Adapter w/ O-Ring - Tub Spout RP12307 | Delta Faucet Compatible tub spouts would then screw onto this adapter. As long as it can be installed within the min/max, it would allow the spout to screw on and tighten to the wall.

What is the length of the part sticking out of the wall?

The easier thing might be to just cut off the threaded adapter and slid on a new spout if what's left is the proper length. To keep from damaging the seal, you need to make sure there are no burrs on the end of the pipe that could otherwise cut the O-ring when you slide the spout on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks