Need help finding a tub!

Users who are viewing this thread

Abuela

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a bathroom, and the primary reason is to replace the shallow straight-sided tub with its cheap plastic surround, with one that is as deep as I can find that will fit in that space and very comfortable for soaking.

So I'm looking for a very comfortable slanted-back extra-deep soaking tub, but I'm having a heck of a time finding one that isn't also either jetted (which I just don't want) or freestanding/clawfoot/pedestal (which just won't work in that space, though I love them).

I need something that will fit into a 60x34 3-walled alcove, which I'll be tiling once the tub is installed. It needs to have a skirted side, preferably with a style that would work in a vaguely 1930's styled bathroom but I'm choosing comfort and depth over style.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd very much appreciate hearing about them! Budget is up to $2000 if that's what I have to pay to find what I want, but preferred budget is up to $1000 (this is not including installation).

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Mine is from Jason INternational. It's 19-inches high. Note that if the tub does not come with a built-in tiling flange, most of the manufacturers have add-on tiling flanges for their drop in tubs. Many also have optional skirts if they aren't built-in.

Keep in mind that when you add the slanted back, the actual tub opening you sit in ends up being shorter. If at all possible, you might want to consider redoing that space to allow a longer tub. From a maintenance viewpoint, an air tub is much easier to maintain than a jetted whirlpool and you can use oils, scents, bubbles, etc that are verboten from most whirlpools. I ended up with a 6' air tub, and would really have loved a 7' one!

Abuela

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - I'm short, and it's only going to be me or an occasional grandchild in the tub so a shorter tub isn't a problem. In fact I had a hard time keeping from sliding down in a long tub that was installed in the B&B I stayed in recently!

The length is pretty much non-negotiable. It's a very small bathroom with no room to expand. I'm also trying to avoid or minimize any plumbing modifications or layout changes, in order to be able to budget for some nicer fixtures.

Is 19" the distance to the top/overflow drain, or to the top of the tub?

And I'm looking for a regular ordinary no air no jets nothing but a way for water to get in and water to get out tub - and I'm finding them surprisingly difficult to find in a deep tub!!

Thanks for the tip on the tiling flange - it's not something I'd heard of yet in my research and obviously something I need to consider since I want to tile the walls around the tub.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That is the total height of the tub, not the water depth. At the drain end, I think the overflow probably allows a max of maybe 14-15", but I think it is probably around the lower figure. Most tubs have their overflow hole a couple of inches from the top surface, and the hole is in the order of 1.5" in diameter, so water can enter from the low end of that hole.

At least at the jason site, they show the same shaped tub fitted with the jets, but if you look carefully, they can be ordered strictly as a soaking tub.

TAB123

Reaction score
Have a look at MTI Whirlpools. (their website is very easy to navigate to get the info you need) Most models are available in soaker styles. Specifically, look at Kalliope MTDS-51.

GregO

Reaction score
tubs

I'd recommend checking out BainUltra tubs - they make very good airjet tubs (we wanted one that did not circulate water), although I'm not sure if they have any models without airjets - regardless, I would not hesitate to buy theirs. Our 5.5 foot 50 gallon BainUltra ran us $1,500 US dollars for materials. Greg

I'm remodeling a bathroom, and the primary reason is to replace the shallow straight-sided tub with its cheap plastic surround, with one that is as deep as I can find that will fit in that space and very comfortable for soaking.

So I'm looking for a very comfortable slanted-back extra-deep soaking tub, but I'm having a heck of a time finding one that isn't also either jetted (which I just don't want) or freestanding/clawfoot/pedestal (which just won't work in that space, though I love them).

I need something that will fit into a 60x34 3-walled alcove, which I'll be tiling once the tub is installed. It needs to have a skirted side, preferably with a style that would work in a vaguely 1930's styled bathroom but I'm choosing comfort and depth over style.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd very much appreciate hearing about them! Budget is up to $2000 if that's what I have to pay to find what I want, but preferred budget is up to $1000 (this is not including installation).

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks