Need help draining sink in garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Blazinbrush

Reaction score
Hi - I'm a new home owner and I'm trying to plumb in a stainless steel sink in my garage. The washing machine is behind the back wall of the garage, so I'm hoping to tap into its drain. I don't plan to get it permitted, but I want to do it right.

washer drain2.001.jpg washer drain.002.jpg washer drain.003.jpg

There are a couple of things that make me wonder how I should run it. One, the floor of the washing machine is about 2 feet above the garage floor, so the sink drain is below the washing machine. Two, there isn't much room below the washer trap and horizontal run to connect the sink drain.

I was thinking I could do a combo off the horizontal (from the washer) going into the basement. And run the sink vent into the washing machine vent 6" above the top of the washer. I might be able to cut the horizontal (that goes into the basement) and drop it a bit in the basement, which may leave room for a wye for the sink. The only other option I can think of is to tie all the way into the 4" main drain in the basement. There isn't a lot of room to squeeze another combo on the main, but I could probably figure something out. No matter what, I'd still plan to vent 6" above the top of the washer.

Should I orient the wye off to the side (either the same as the washer or opposite of it) or should I run it out toward the sink? And how/where do I put the vent so that I can run it up to the other vent?

How does that sound? Is there a better way? Should I try to move the washer p-trap and wye up more to allow more room for the sink (either way, the sink is low)? Are there glaring errors in my ways? For example, is it okay to add the sink wye below the washer wye? Thanks much, Blazin Brush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks