Need help draining a State water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Hackett

Reaction score
Hello everyone... I have ran into a situation with a water heater in a house that we recently purchased. Our hot water runs out in about 15 minutes and I'm figuring that we have a bad element that needs to be replaced. No big deal I thought, but then I run into a drain valve that I have never seen. I will attach a photo of it. I attempted to turn the valve under the screw only to find that water rushes out of there along with the hose. How do I drain this thing?

Attachments

• 20161024_074221.jpg
    20161024_074221.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 1477523250584-2018963395.jpg
    1477523250584-2018963395.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 328

Reach4

Reaction score
Since the WH is 34.5 years old, it is probably better to replace it rather than troubleshoot and repair.

Since I am not a pro, at 14 years old, I might try to fix it...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The top part of the bonnet may have broken out on your drain. You open the drain and water comes out the top and from the hose fitting?
You may need to find a part for that, doubtful though.
Is this in a place where you can drain it out, like a garage? If not, you may be using something like buckets to drain it with. The last one like that I wheeled outside. They are something like 500 pounds with water in them. It was a bear.

Michael Hackett

Reaction score
Terry you are correct. the water comes out from under the rubber gasket on top and through the water hose as well. It doesn't appear that anything is broken off, but it does appear that something is missing. I managed to remove the piece under the rubber gasket and it is a plastic piece that acts like a plug. I believe there was a piece that you could install to act as a valve that would open and close. Unfortunately, the heater is in my laundry room with no way to drain it without making a mess and doing considerable damage. Buckets aren't a good option due to the valve being so close to the floor it makes it impossible to get under the spigot. Any ideas on the best course to drain, or even siphon the water out?

Is it possible that the valve use to look like the new photo I added but the previous owner removed the cap and washers that held on the handle?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
water_heater_drains.jpg

A picture of an old drain, and one off of a Rheem water heater. Not the Home Depot heater, but a contractor supplied heater. I think Home Depot is still going with plastic on their drains.

The drain you have on yours has a broken bonnet.

index.php

This one is similar to yours.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you put a new one in, consider a drain pan, and I'm not sure you can find one with a threaded hose connection to it, that might be useful to direct things outside during draining. Won't help unless permanently connected if it leaks, though, but will make things easier the next time.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
The water heater appears to be a 1982 unit...
you got to be nuts even to attempt to change out the elements
on one that old.... If you attempt to remove that old broken plastic drain
it will most likely break off on you at the tank and then you got some fun on
your hands.....

its much better to change out the heater

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replace the water heater.
Trouble is: you will have to drain it before you can move it out. Use a few empty 5 gal paint buckets to empty it and a helper to haul them outside.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You should be able to verify the integrity of the heater element with an ohm-meter without draining the tank.

Another thing that causes the apparent capacity of the water heater to drop is when the dip tube gets shortened from corrosion, and is injecting the cold water at the mid-point of the tank rather than at the bottom. This too isn't worth trying to fix on a unit old enough to have voted in the Al Gore vs. G.W. race. (Hopefully it wasn't registered to vote, eh? ;-) )

Really- don't waste any more time, money & effort diagnosing or repairing it. This thing has gone 2x what's considered a reasonable life cycle. (Were you hoping it'll eventually qualify for social security or something- or an AARP card, at least? ) If it's not actively leaking and still giving you 15 minute showers you have time to shop around for the replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks