Need help connecting new tailpiece to old DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

rmccully

Reaction score
I'm a novice nearing the completion of my complete bathroom remodel. My problem is with my sink drain tailpiece. I'll try to attach a photo, but here is my description of the problem. I purchased a 1.25" nickel p-trap and tailpiece from Lowes to have on display underneath my new pedestal sink. Not knowing what I was doing, I assumed that I could just connect this to the existing tailpiece, also 1.25", which is old and ugly. I had a plumber at the house a couple of days ago to replace my busted toilet closet flange, and I asked him about it. He told me to use a "repair trap," and was kind enough to show me what the piece was. My problem is that I can't find one in brushed nickel. If someone knows of somewhere online that I can get one it would be a big help. I bought a steel one from the store and a considering spray painting it, but I don't know how good it will look.

Alternatively, I could replace the whole tailpiece with the one that came with the drain from Lowe's. Herein lies a bigger challenge. The drain inside the wall is 1.5" steel. The 1.25" tailpiece connects to a 90 degree elbow somehow, which I didn't really take any notice of. I have a photo that shows all of the sink plumbing, and I hoping someone can tell me how to use my new tailpiece with the existing in-wall drain. I've already put new drywall up and painted, so ripping it down to replace the elbow or anything like that is just about the last thing I want to do. The current tailpiece seems to be in there pretty tightly. In the photo, there is a "repair" piece on the straight tailpiece. Please let me know if anything is unclear.

PS This forum has been a tremendous help throughout my project, though this is the first time I've needed to post. Thanks
Ryan
Towson, MD

Attachments

• Drain pipe.jpg
    Drain pipe.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tailpiece

The old trap elbow is soldered into a brass bushing. You have to remove it from the bushing and then cut the bushing out. It would have been a lot easier if it had been done at the time the picture was taken, but a plumber could still do it now, assuming the pedestal lavatory is not already in place.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that elbow in the picture is still useable and not corroded, why not get a 1 1/2 " p trap and try to hook it up to the drain as-is. Since most lavatory pop-up drains are 1 1/4", you'll need a 1 1/4"-1 1/2" reducing nut. You may need additional pieces to make it work--hard to tell until you start piecing everything together.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks