Need Help: Adding plumbing to detached garage

Users who are viewing this thread

kevinbb

Reaction score
Hello. Looking for some professional advice. Live in Fayetteville NC. Built a two story garage a few years ago on a slab that is roughly 70 pipe feet away from my home. The garage sits lower then the home. I am working to finish off the upstairs for another living space. Upstairs is fully insulated, heated and cooled already. I need a pro's opinion on the best option to get the waste back to my house as I assume that would be the best solution over a septic or compost. I have already ran a 3/4 pex pipe 12" in ground for water along with a 2" PVC pipe for the waste when I ran all my wiring. The pipes are caped off in crawl space of my house and the 2" PVC is capped under the ground by the garage and pex was ran in a 3" insulated PVC pipe into the garage starting 12" below grade next to the garage foundation and elbows into the garage from the rear through the wall. Please ask more questions if needed to provide advice. Thank you so much!

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. What plumbing fixtures do you have in the garage?
2. Dig up the sanitary sewer clean out in your front yard. if its deep enough you can tie the drain from your garage with a santee into the vertical drop.
3. The sewer coming off your house needs to be big enough for for the additional fixtures in your garage. if its 4" your probably good.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have already ran a 3/4 pex pipe 12" in ground for water along with a 2" PVC pipe for the waste when I ran all my wiring.
If you want to run the toilet waste through 2 inch, you would need a grinder pump. You would need at least 3 inch for gravity.

kevinbb

Reaction score
1. What plumbing fixtures do you have in the garage?
2. Dig up the sanitary sewer clean out in your front yard. if its deep enough you can tie the drain from your garage with a santee into the vertical drop.
3. The sewer coming off your house needs to be big enough for for the additional fixtures in your garage. if its 4" your probably good.
Hi, will have a shower, toilet, bathroom sink, small kitchen sink (no disposal) and shop sink downstairs. My house was built in 1964 and would have no idea where the clean out is. I do have one that comes out of my brick in the backyard behind my kitchen sink. I have cast iron and not sure of the size but it looks big. The problem is I already laid and filled in the 2" waste line a year ago and did not slope it toward the house since I assumed I would be using a pump. Thanks

kevinbb

Reaction score
If you want to run the toilet waste through 2 inch, you would need a grinder pump. You would need at least 3 inch for gravity.
Yes, that's what I was told by little giant for a grinder pump. But if it does not get used much then I have heard that setup is not ideal. Not sure how much it will get used. Thoughts on digging a large hole and lined the bottom with gravel. Taking a plastic 55 gallon drum and drilling a bunch of 1/2" holes in the bottom half and place it on the gravel and backfill halfway to the top of the barrel with more gravel. Then place a layer of plastic over the gravel to keep the dirt from coming in and clogging it. Install a pipe into the mouth of the barrel, and refilled the hole with dirt?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks