Need Guidance (Pumping from Creek Up a Hill)

Users who are viewing this thread

awhitehouse

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a total novice when it comes to pumps and determining what I should need here, so am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a creek on my property. I want to use it for general irrigation, car washing and to supply a lawn irrigation system. The problem is that the creek is about 40 feel lower down a hill than my lawn.

The run from the creek to my barn (where I want it to terminate) is at some points very steep (not quite verticle, but well past 45 degrees).

I would ideally like to have the pump located at the top of the hill as it is easier to just run pipe down the hill rather than run pipe and electricity.

I can supply the pump with 120 or 240 power. A submersible is not really an option due to the depth of the creek and water level differences throughout the year.

So what type of size pump should I be looking for? What type of pump should I look at? Can I put it at the top and "pull" water up rather than at the bottom and have to "push" it up?

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks.

Alan

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Goulds Multa Stage Pump

You will need to install the pump near the stream stream as possible.

Without more specific information such as pressure and gallons per minute required I would recommend a multi-stage Jet pump such as a Gould 1 HP Model HSJ10N or better yet a Gould 1½ HP Model HSJ15N or equivalent pump.

In addition I would recommend installing a constant pressure valve such as a "Cycle Stop Valve" www.cyclestopvalves.com. These valves will give you a constant pressure with a variable flow and prevent the pump from cycling. You will need a small pressure tank such as a Well-X-Trol WX-101 or equivalent.

or call "Cycle Stop Valves" for their recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks