Need GFCI help

Users who are viewing this thread

mincam

Reaction score
GFCI will not reset with line connected and NOTHING CONNECTED TO LOAD SIDE.

This GFCI is at the end of the line on an outside wall in a very dry location. It is just there as a receptacle and has nothing wired to the load side.

Just bought this house and found that this GFCI did not work or reset, and since nothing is connected downstream, I presumed that it was a faulty GFCI. So I bought a new one, and it does not work either.

On both I get 120 volts from hot to neutral and also hot to ground, measuring at the wiring screws.

But the outlets do not work. On the new one, I got it to work momentarily and thought the problem was solved, then it tripped and I cannot get it to reset.

I am under the impression that the GFCI does not care about upstream conditions, but since there is nothing plugged in, why won't it work?

BTW, the one I removed, which was there when we got the house, looks very new. I suspect it is OK, but have not checked it.

Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume nothing is plugged into the outlets.

Are you sure you wired to the line terminals?

Otherwise, it sounds as if you got two bad GFCIs.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Every household has at least one hammer and a set of screw drivers. And every household should have one of these. They're around $10 or less and take out a lot of guess work. Of course it will work on non-gfci circuits and outlets.

3d220fcd-9cc5-4bb9-a36a-b0cd7c31d370_145.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks