Need DIY advice on bathroom DWV layout

Users who are viewing this thread

DanFL

Reaction score
I have a single story home on concrete slab in Central FL. To my knowledge we follow IPC here, unless a fellow Floridian can correct me on that. Referring to the attached diagram, I'm trying to add a bathroom and rearrange the laundry room.

#1: Is it allowed for the laundry drain trap arm to make a turn in the wall as shown with the proposed green line, as long as it is within the allowed 60" length? IPC allows a 1/4 bend horizontal-to-horizontal, which I think might be easier to fit into the corner of the 2x4 wall. Or do I have to bust up the slab and move the whole drain/vent to the other wall as shown by the dashed line?

#2: Can I connect the shower drain to that same existing 2" drain for the washer drain? I could keep the existing vent and just move the washer drain arm, regardless of answer to #1. Or is it better to tie that shower into the toilet drain? For various reasons, I believe it would be a bit easier to connect to the washer drain.

Any advice to pass inspection is appreciated. Questions on the toilet layout to follow...

Attachments

• bath dwv layout 1.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 133
  • bath dwv layout 1.png
    bath dwv layout 1.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You cannot join the washer standpipe to a 2 inch pipe carrying anything else. You have to get that to a 3 inch pipe.

Your shower is not vented appropriately.

There are other problems.

Is there a bathroom sink?

DanFL

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses gents. So if I move the shower drain to the 3", am I allowed to bend the washer trap arm through the wall corner? Or should I just cut the slab and move it all? There will be a bathroom sink and laundry sink in garage. Updated diagram attached showing the proposed sink connections. Thanks again for the input.

Attachments

• bath dwv layout 2.pdf
    21.5 KB · Views: 135
  • bath dwv layout 2.png
    bath dwv layout 2.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 141

Reach4

Reaction score
In the marked-up sketch, red is for the laundry tub and/or standpipe. See if others buy in to that. In IPC there is a way to have both share the same trap -- if you are interested. (http://media.iccsafe.org/news/icc-enews/2018v15n13/2018SC-IPC802.pdf) That joining of laundry waste with toilet stuff can be discussed.

Advantages include not interrupting the bathroom stuff with the laundry drainage. I am not sure that is necessary, but suspect it might be because wet venting is for bathroom stuff. Laundry is not bathroom. I am not a plumber.

Attachments

• IMG_4.png
    IMG_4.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

DanFL

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, I should have called that a "utility sink" in the garage instead of "laundry sink". The laundry drain is still to the left in my second diagram, on the wall opposite the toilet/shower/sink drain. There is no room for the laundry sink in the actual laundry room, so it's going in the garage. So I have 2 separate things going on here: moving the laundry/washer drain to the new wall as shown in the first diagram, and then adding the bathroom group as shown in the second diagram. I'd still like to know if my proposed bathroom group is OK, and if the offset sinks connections to the wet vent are OK.

Reach4

Reaction score
utility sink" in the garage instead of "laundry sink".
Still, utility sink is not a bathroom sink. Comments on wet venting still apply. Join the utility sink drainage to the flows after the bathroom stuff. Give the utility sink a dry vent, or use an AAV. Want an easy way to vent the utility sink without joining the real vent, or mounting an AAV yourself? Take a look at the Rectorseal 97402 Magic Trap with the Rectorseal 97400 AAV.

https://rectorseal.com/product/magic-trap/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks