Need comments on my proposed install

Users who are viewing this thread

myrightnut

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First off thanks so much for your comments in my last thread.

This time I am again asking for your comments. I am submitting for my permits and getting ready to open up the concrete floor in my basement. Below is a sketch of how I think the sewer drains should go... but I would like some comments to see if there is an easier way... a better way... or if its too much?

The room is 10' x 9' in the basement and since I live in Ontario, Canada, I will be following the Ontario Building Code.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Attachments

• scan0001a.jpg
    scan0001a.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 463

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can actually go in and edit the picture, and change the size by editing the numbers. That should bring it down in size. Also, the dramatic angles seem to be way too much. I would find a reputable plumbing contractor, and let them work it out.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
That wouldn't pass in KY or OH due to wet venting and lack of vents for the toilet and lavatory.

The shower the way you've done it is a flat vent which I'm sure is illegal everywhere.

You should be laying your wye's off the ground laterals in conjunction with fixture placement and not "connecting the dots" with the piping. That pipe is not that expensive, nor are the fittings.

I see a great deal of DIY'rs hellbent on doing the ground work for their plumbing systems but that by far is the most crucial in the creation of a plumbing system.

Screw that up and you'll have endless problems with clogging and other issues along the way. I would know since I'm the paid troubleshooter to go and unclog/readdress these issues when it is done wrong. Job security but I try to lay it on the line to people before going and effing it all up. I don't make money that way but I'm all for saving a headache just because people don't want to pay someone who does it every day.

Don't know what state you're in so it's hard telling what your state accepts in the line of code. Some states are so relaxed I'd swear they'd allow automotive parts as substitutes for plumbing repairs. KY isn't one of them.

myrightnut

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
Another try!

okay,

I would like to try this again... but I'm having problems with the venting... to avoid using a wet vent, how do I vent the shower and lav? I will run a separate vent up through the attic for the toilet and tub but I can't run a separate vent for the lav and shower on that wall... the kitchen above was recently finished with new cuboards paint etc. Would it be feasible to tie a vent in for the lav and shower to the new one I have drawn for the tub and toilet?

Please, any suggestions would be great!

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 420

Prashster

Reaction score
Not a pro, but think about this...

Here's my 2cents (to be taken with grain of salt):

I'd use a 2" or better vent to the attic in the lower right corner of your diag.

I'd wrap that vent around the outside perimeter wall over to the left lav and shower fixtures and I wouldn't use the 1st floor sink as a vent.

The drain angle for the shower feels too drastic. I'd sweep it with several 45's. I think the shower drain has to be 2". I think the tub's ok at 1.5", but I'd make it 2" anyway.

The lav needs a vent closer to it's trap. It should be close enough to the trap such that the take off is still above the trap's weir.

I'm not sure, but it looks like yr planning to drop yr tub drain down into the wye and then vent off the wye. This might put that takeoff below the tub trap's weir. I'd vent the tub off the trap arm before you drop down or wye into the main line.

Not to be pedantic, but if you don't know what the weir is:

http://www.pinellascounty.org/build/images/vdt.gif

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks