Need clearer minds to help figure this out ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Monimom

Reaction score
Hi, I am not familiar with all of the dynamics of vent pipes, but heres the scenario, please help me to understand what the culprit is....

We have an area on our bathroom wall( side of toilet ) that previously had a toilet paper holder attached, it had shown water type damage so we removed the toilet paper holder , perplexed, we repaired screw holes and painted... then once again that ONE area would show a water looking area....

We had an addition built and the other side of that bathroom wall was opened up which exposed the vent pipe within that wall.... we discovered the toilet paper holder had been attached and ones of the screws used penetrated the vent pipe.... THAT was why we had a spot on the wall in the bathroom after the holder was removed !! we repaired the hole with an epoxy on the outside and everything was buttoned up and all was well..

Until now, 2 yrs later and its starting again... soooo

my question is... is HOW is the water getting into the pipe ??could it be rain water coming down the pipe?

could it be a block in the pipe allowing water backing up into the pipe from plumbing internally ?

whats a decent repair for this ???

as I said i really don't know alot about the dynamics of this, ANY constructive input is really appreciated, Thank you !!

Reach4

Reaction score
my question is... is HOW is the water getting into the pipe ??could it be rain water coming down the pipe?
Possible but unlikely. Rain water coming down the pipe should join your drainage.
could it be a block in the pipe allowing water backing up into the pipe from plumbing internally ?
Unlikely. Such a backup should cause backup into sink. The crossover in venting takes place 6 or more inches above the "flood level" of the associated fixtures.
whats a decent repair for this ???
You should visit the attic. The water may be leakage coming down along the outside of the pipe.

Does the water you see correlate with rain or snow melt? If not, perhaps the water is coming from a small leak in your pressurized piping.

Are you confident that the screw hole was repaired adequately?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks