Need assistance with refrigerator water line

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike-tx

Reaction score
Hi, I recently moved to a new home and brought the refrigerator from my prior home. I am having difficulty connecting water to refrigerator. The house has a reverse osmosis system under sink with a line out to fridge. However, when it's connected, the fridge drips out of the front water dispenser. This was never an issue with this refrigerator before. I have run a lot of water through it so I don’t believe there would still be any air in the line. From what I've found, the leaking may be because the reverse osmosis provides such low water pressure that it somehow results in the dispenser leaking. I can vouch for the fact that the water pressure from the RO system is definitely low.

So fast forward I decided to just hook the water line up to house water with an in-line filter like I had at my last place. However when I went to connect it I realized that the house connection is not what I’m accustomed to and I don't even know where to hook a water line into it. It’s a FlowTite connection at the house. I’ve searched and seen plenty of negative reviews of the FlowTite, but I’m not skilled in this area to replace the valve.

Can anyone provide advice on either getting a 1/4 line into the FlowTite or how to get it to stop leaking with the RO input?

Thank you

Attachments

• 8DD0C31B-1F84-4E31-BE86-F098199DCF04.jpeg
    8DD0C31B-1F84-4E31-BE86-F098199DCF04.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 187

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You might want to look at the solenoid water valve at the refrigerator. Debris can get jammed in the valve preventing it from completely closing. It sits on the right side bottom (looking the back) behind the cover. Sometimes it is right there. It is a relatively inexpensive part. This valve open and closes when the ice maker or the tap in front of refrigerator calls for water. Pressure is not constant at the front dispenser.

Are you asking how to connect a new supply line to this wall connection? Before going into it too much, try your theory within the kitchen. Disconnect the water line to the RO at the stop valve, then connect a 1/4" line to it and run it on the floor to the refrigerator. You may need an adapter from 3/8" to 1/4" at the stop valve. If it leaks then you know it's the refrigerator. If it doesn't then it is the pressure.

You can buy 1/4" refrigerator water hoses up to 25 feet. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Univ...aker-Water-Supply-Line-PM08X10012DS/300249102

Mike-tx

Reaction score
You might want to look at the solenoid water valve at the refrigerator. Debris can get jammed in the valve preventing it from completely closing. It sits on the right side bottom (looking the back) behind the cover. Sometimes it is right there. It is a relatively inexpensive part. This valve open and closes when the ice maker or the tap in front of refrigerator calls for water. Pressure is not constant at the front dispenser.

Are you asking how to connect a new supply line to this wall connection? Before going into it too much, try your theory within the kitchen. Disconnect the water line to the RO at the stop valve, then connect a 1/4" line to it and run it on the floor to the refrigerator. You may need an adapter from 3/8" to 1/4" at the stop valve. If it leaks then you know it's the refrigerator. If it doesn't then it is the pressure.

You can buy 1/4" refrigerator water hoses up to 25 feet. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Univ...aker-Water-Supply-Line-PM08X10012DS/300249102

Thanks for the suggestion on how to narrow down the problem. I connected a 1/4 tube to the valve nearest the house water inlet. The pressure is typical house pressure as we would expect, and there is no leaking out of the dispenser. I believe this confirms the issue is the pressure from the RO system, but let me know if you disagree.

If you agree that it’s just best to skip the RO and go straight to the house water, then my question is how do I connect a 1/4 line into that valve in my original picture?

Thanks for your assistance.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Where the tee is under the sink. One goes to a faucet and the other to the refrigerator or does it just go to the refrigerator? You'll need a tee of sorts to connect from the sink cold water line.

Mike-tx

Reaction score
Where the tee is under the sink. One goes to a faucet and the other to the refrigerator or does it just go to the refrigerator? You'll need a tee of sorts to connect from the sink cold water line.
The only tee under the sink that goes to the refrigerator is after the RO system. I suppose I could add another tee before the RO. However, since there is this unused house water line behind the refrigerator, I was hoping to use it, but I don’t know how to connect the tubing into it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The storage tank under your sink has a schrader valve on top (like a bike tire ) maybe it needs more air pressure in it . they can need air time to time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks