Need advice on vents

Users who are viewing this thread

Renoguy

Reaction score
Hi Terry!
I have a 2 storey house with existing full bath on second floor.

I'm installing a sink, toilet and washer/dryer on the main floor. (All close to each other) Existing washing machine in basement has a dedicated 2" vent leading up to the second floor. This could possibly be disconnected from the basement and used specifically for the new utilities.

Here's the tricky part. This vent runs up thru a load bearing wall and I have to tie the new lines into it. Can I do this without boring holes thru the load bearing studs? ie; tie into the vent via the basement, come over under the utilities and up thru the regular partition wall that the utilities sit against. I suppose gases could get trapped if I do this though.

Any ideas?
Thank you, Ross

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumbing

Your question is why plumbers take so long to get a license and charge what they do. WE have absolutely no idea whether you are even doing the job correctly, much less the best way to vent them. Have you even consulted with a competent plumber?

Renoguy

Reaction score
Re: Advice

Look, I have no intention of doing this myself. All I wanted was your take on the problem for reference sake and you chose to answer me with sarcasm. You know, I just signed up here today hoping someone could help out a little bit and I got you instead. Were you having a bad day or something? Well thanks for nothing HJ.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj is just mentioning that without pictures, it's hard to comment.
With some codes, tying the basement vents into the main floor vent shouldn't be a problem if they can be connected 42" above the floor.

No waste should be going down the vent.
If you have solid wood there, and code doesn not allow for cutting it, you may have to go around it.
There are times, when the structure dictates where the pipes can go.
dwv_b2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks