Need advice on urinals: models, installation, servicing

Users who are viewing this thread

Mliu

Reaction score
As I mentioned in a previous thread, we're planning to open a small cafe. I want to install a urinal (along with a toilet) in our single-occupancy restroom. We're in Colorado where "WaterSense" is required by law, so that means we're limited to 0.125g per urinal flush. I'm leaning in favor of the Toto UT105UVG but have some concerns because the flush only washes down the back wall of the urinal. That means urine will accumulate on the side front walls between cleanings. I'm worried about it getting nasty and smelly. Are there any WaterSense-rated urinals that do a better job of washing down the entire bowl, rather than just the back wall?

My other questions have to do with installation and maintenance. I intend to install a sensor-activated flush valve. I prefer the look and ease of cleaning of the valves that are installed inside the wall (e.g., Toto TEU3UA11#SS). I'm curious how these are installed and, more importantly, how they are serviced since they are installed within the wall. If the valve ever needs to be serviced or replaced, does that mean the wall has to be cut open? (I'm planning to have the wall tiled, so cutting open the wall and replacing it would be costly and time-consuming.) I know that Toto makes a similar valve assembly with a larger service plate (TEU2UA11#SS), but it's not as attractive. And I'm still not sure how one connects/disconnects this from the urinal's back spud.

A related question is servicing of the urinal itself. I've heard that some people prefer urinals with external traps (like the American Standard "Maybrook") because they are easier to service the drain. I'd prefer a urinal with an integral trap because they look better, they're easier to clean, and I don't have to worry about people in wheelchairs hitting an external trap with their knees or shins. But once again, I'm not sure how easy it is to service piping that's completely concealed in the wall behind the urinal. Since ours will be a small cafe with low restroom usage, I suspect it will be many years before we'd have to worry about urea crystallization in the drain pipe, especially since this will be an auto-flush urinal thus minimizing the accumulation of undiluted urine in the drain from people not flushing. Nevertheless, I don't want to make false assumptions.

I'd love to hear from professional plumbers who've installed and serviced various types of urinals to hear your recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks