Need Advice On This Water Service Entrance

Users who are viewing this thread

Ponder

Reaction score
Hello,

I need some suggestions on dealing with this water service entrance.

The incoming supply is one inch Pex. The PRV is a Watts, which does not seem to be regulating well. It is mounted too close to the wall to remove without prior disassembly. The copper transitions to Pex at the top of the wall above the PRV and feeds the rest of the house.

The lower mounting board is loosely fastened to the concrete wall on only one side. The other side is completely free. The whole thing would fall down if it weren't for the pipe itself.

The incoming line penetration is through 14 - 16 inches of poured concrete about four foot below grade. It connects to a 3/4" water meter about 1/4 mile away. Allegedly, the line transitions to 2" pipe between the one inch Pex and the 3/4" port on the meter. Supposedly, the pipe is PVC, but I have my doubts about both the size and its composition.

Right now I have no way to read the pressure on the line before the PRV. This seems essential to me. I would also like to add some yard hydrants without another penetration in the wall. I am thinking of putting a T connector in the one inch Pex outside the house and routing each branch through a shutoff. One would come into the house and the other would feed the yard hydrant line. I would also clean up the inside part of the installation.

Does this sound like a good plan, and what kind of shutoffs would be appropriate? I have used plastic ball valves outside in the past, but I don't really like them. I much prefer brass/bronze valves. I just don't know if they are suitable for exterior use. The ground here is clay, and I would mount the valves below the frost line with access through a box of some sort.

I can sweat copper and have worked with Pex before.

Any comments or suggestions?

Attachments

• P1000327sm.jpg
    P1000327sm.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure that's 1" PEX? It looks like 3/4 and the copper looks like 1/2

Ponder

Reaction score
Are you sure that's 1" PEX? It looks like 3/4 and the copper looks like 1/2

Yep. Attached is the result of a lot of careful digging in four foot of heavy wet clay on the other side of that wall.

The blue Pex and the copper are 3/4".

Attachments

• P1000340sm.jpg
    P1000340sm.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 524

Ponder

Reaction score
I just got back to digging up the pipe. I found the alleged 2" PVC. It is actually 1.5 inch pipe. :mad: The transition to 1" Pex is 15 feet from the house.

Here's my question.

I plan on installing a couple garden hydrants and a shutoff. I have essentially two choices.

1. Put a Tee in the 1.5" PVC.

2. Cut into the 1" Pex, insert a Sharkbite 1" to 3/4" transition piece somewhere in that 15' run, then Tee into the 3/4 Pex for the rest of the run to the house and the garden hydrants.

I am equipped to work with 3/4 Pex, but not the 1" stuff, and I don't want to buy a tool just for that 15 foot section.

Opinions please.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks