Need advice on replacing pipes basement to 2nd floor

Users who are viewing this thread

HS2

Reaction score
First time posting on this informative forum, please help with your advice.

our house has new copper pipes throughout the basement from meter to water heater, out to basement bath, laundry, etc. vertical pipes going up two floors to the bathroom in question are galvanized and they are connected to new(er) copper plumbing on the second floor so our weak link are vertical pipes. We are in a need to replace our bath into a walk in shower and will have to gut the entire bathroom. The issue is that our pipes going up travel through 8 inches of concrete (our basement ceiling is not wood), through a wall (which will need to be busted) in another powder room on 1st floor, end up below a wooden floor landing on the second floor (accessible through the ceiling on first floor worst case to avoid ripping up hardwood floor). The contractor is a big copper fan and doesn’t want to use anything else and feels good about the job.

1. would Plex be easier? Well, yes and will cause less destruction but what are your thoughts? It also means I have to find someone else because he doesn’t work with it.
2. I have a laundry chute from second floor to basement which we do use, do plumbing codes allow pipe runs? In this case we’ll still have to “pipe” through a small closet to get to the bathroom He tells me no and I think he’s right but I see pipes in Chicago buildings in bathrooms all the time in old buildings. Maybe forget I even asked this question?
3. Is there a way to clean or rod out these pipes or would it weaken them to a point of problems and leaks, the house is 70 years old. Thanks guys.

HS2

Reaction score
Appreciate your thoughts guys. I have since found out that I can get the pipes sandblasted with an epoxy coating method which can "revive" these pipes. My concern is the cost and if it's worth it as we've been getting a lot of rust through our faucets. I'd rather not DIY this either, no clue and I am sure to screw this up. Is there general guidance on how much this costs for say 2 floors of hot/cold pipes? Ballpark (is it $500 or $2000)?

HS2

Reaction score
Would additional information help? Are my questions too basic that they're not worth answering? Sorry for the trouble.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. would Plex be easier? Well, yes and will cause less destruction but what are your thoughts? It also means I have to find someone else because he doesn’t work with it.
Is pex allowed in Chicago? Maybe the property is not in Chicago.

2. I have a laundry chute from second floor to basement which we do use, do plumbing codes allow pipe runs? In this case we’ll still have to “pipe” through a small closet to get to the bathroom He tells me no and I think he’s right but I see pipes in Chicago buildings in bathrooms all the time in old buildings. Maybe forget I even asked this question?
Contractor says you cannot pipe through a closet or a laundry chute? That would surprise me. I am not a plumber.

3. Is there a way to clean or rod out these pipes or would it weaken them to a point of problems and leaks, the house is 70 years old. Thanks guys.
I don't think you can rod out such pipes, and should consider getting the house repiped. Then fix the walls. Then paint.
Ballpark (is it $500 or $2000)?
I would think a lot more than $2000, but I don't have a guess for you.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get a couple of bids to it in PEX, and or the pipe clean out method and relined what ever it cost will be a lot cheaper then opening all those walls and floors plus the repair work, plus the cost of the repipe

HS2

Reaction score
Thank you, this helps. I am in the NW suburbs of Chicago, will look up a couple of contractors. If someone has a suggestion on whom to call, please pm me if it's against the forum rules to post publicly. It appears no one so far is adverse to Pex then which is good to know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks