Need advice on reconfiguring plumbing vents

Users who are viewing this thread

Kal

Reaction score
I am remodeling my kids bathroom on the second story and wanted replace the existing tub with a shower pan. We ripped out the tub and found two plumbing vents that come up from the 1st story. They have a slight bent outward just above the floor board to go around the joist then they go back into the wall. This wasn't a problem with tub since the tub had some empty space that accommodated them. These will obviously not work with a shower pan. How should I reconfigure them? Can I drill holes into the joist? This happens to be at the end of the joist toward the exterior wall of the house. Would be really grateful for any advice you can provide.

IMG_9296.jpg
IMG_9297.JPG
IMG_9298.JPG
IMG_9299.JPG
IMG_9300.JPG
IMG_9301.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a TJI joist and no you can't cut the joist or drill out the top of it. You're taking out a 60" tub? One option would be a 54" shower pan that would allow you to fir out the end wall. Assuming the center drain didn't line up on top of a joist.
What is on the other side of that wall?

Kal

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I missed replying to one of your earlier questions. Yes, I took out a 60" tub,
The long wall is an exterior wall with insulation and also has a transom window so routing the vent pipes through that wall wouldn't be an option.
I didn't understand your comment about framing out for the pipes. Since I was thinking of a 60" shower pan it would go right up against those bent sections. I looked up 54" pans and couldn't find acrylic ones that drain on the right like the 60" pan I have bought. They all seem to have center drains. The wall on the short side extends out to where the toilet is and so if I frame in the pipes it is going to leave zig zag wall. I think I may be stuck with having to put in another tub :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks