need advice on Installing H2O2 injector at well and how to get clean water sample?

Users who are viewing this thread

Charrie

Reaction score
I am moving my peroxide injection system up to the well and will be installing a TEE so i can thread the injector in the line. I understand that the injector needs to be installed on the line from the pump and before the pressure tank. Without just re-plumbing everything, I am limited as to where I can install the TEE for the injector nozzle.

The other issue is howto take a clean water sample once the injection system is installed. The current boiler valve is after the pressure tank. Should I install a boiler valve on the supply line from the pump before the injection TEE so that the water sample would at least be before the injector?

Thinking that I would need to cut the injector pump off and drain and flush the pressure tank and then take a sample? perhaps doing that, i could use the current boiler valve?

What do you Y'all recommend?

Here is a pic with the boiler valve where it is now. Maybe pour some bleach in the valve and let it sit a bit first? I will be replacing the gauge and stand pipe to the pressure switch and the switch.
injector2.jpg

-
Was thinking to mount the tee on the lower line outlined in red. Should I add a boiler valve just below the union to get a clean sample or just flush the pressure tank really good and use the one at the tank?
injector1.jpg

Thanks
Charrie

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would think with peroxide injection that you would want some kind of retention tank? Injecting into the line prior to the bladder/diaphragm style tank doesn't mean it will even go into the tank. If you are using water while the injector pump is running it will just go right past the tank and straight to the house without any mixing to speak of.

I will move this to the softener forum where you should get more help.

Charrie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Valveman.
I thought so too and the original instillation had a contact tank. From what i have read, there are times that one might need a contact tank but it is normally not needed with H2O2 and can actually dilute the peroxide making it less effective.
According to Clean Water Store a tank is not needed and the same with US water
Here is a short article from US water

Exert: Chlorine requires contact time, which is typically 20 minutes for every gallon per minute of flow. Therefore, if you are flowing 10 GPM, you need 200 gallons of contact time (10 GPM x 20 minutes = 200 GPM). On the other hand, hydrogen peroxide is not a good disinfectant but rather an excellent oxidizer. It does not require contact time. Contact time only dilutes its ability to oxidize. Therefore, you do not want to use hydrogen peroxide with a retention tank.

What I am trying to do is oxidize the Manganese and Iron so I can capture it in a filter. I also have that sulfur smell.

I agree with you about the peroxide not going into the pressure tank while the water is running. The way I understand this is supposed to work "I think" is that The injection pump will run anytime the well pump is running. Once the water is turned off and say the pump is still running, the peroxide would then be forced into the bladder tank. The injection pump will be wired into the pressure switch so that the injection pump will run whenever the well pump is running.
If the injector is placed after the pressure tank, no peroxide would inter into the pressure tank and say the pressure was at 50psi and I started using water, the first couple of gallons would be coming out from the pressure tank and the injection pump would not be running until the pressure dropped to 30 psi and turned the well pump on.
The well is around 300 feet from the house. The water enters the house and directly into a whole house filter and then into the softener tank.
Everything i am reading states that unlike chlorine needing time to kill bacteria, I am not trying to kill bacteria but oxygenate the water.

I think my research today may have answered my question about where to put the injection tee. Unless you have other thoughts about this. Please feel free to voice your opinion as I value your experience and thank you for sharing it with me.

The injector fitting from Stenner has a "duckbill valve in it that is apparently bad because i can blow air through both ends of the injection valve. Luckily the duckbill valve can be bought separately and for those who have an injection system, it is probably worth checking from time to time to make sure its is working.

The other question I had in the post is how to get a clean water sample once the injection system is up and running. I am guessing that the best way is to just open the boiler valve and let the water run for 5 or 10 minutes with the injection pump turned off. That should clear out any peroxide residue.

Finally for now is any thoughts on how to sanitize the well since there is no open hole on top of the well cap. I could disconnect the union and try to pull the pump up a couple of inches in order to get hose inside the casing but I don't know what issues that may cause. Perhaps use a small hole saw and drill a hole in the upper part of the casing just big enough to get a hose fitting in and plug it when done?

Thanks
Charrie

PS where can I find "all" stainless steel hose clamps? The bolts are badly rusted on the ones holding the drop pipe to the adapter on top. I can only imagine what they might look like below.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks