Need advice on hooking up new tub drain please.

Users who are viewing this thread

D21

Reaction score
Hi. I really like this forum and have been looking thru it quite often to find answers. I can't find this one. I am hooking up a new cast iron villager with a new gerber brass drain/overflow. What is the correct way to connect it to my existing pvc plumbing. I took out an acrylic one piece tub and surround that was using the same drain as the one I bought and the plumber used a one piece plastic slip nut to join to the house plumbing. The top of the nut was cracked(never leaked because was above water level of trap). But now due to the lower tub connections on the tub, I had to cut and shorten the height of the pvc in the joists., it looks like the joint will now be teetering at the level of water in the trap. I hope this makes sense. Thanks, Danny

Reach4

Reaction score
Even those who understand your description will know your situation better if you post a photo. If you upload the photo, it must be 800 pixels or less and under 200 kB.

D21

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

So this is how I redid it. Pretty much just copied what plumber did. Like I said, the top plastic nut was cracked. Even with my 1/4 flat stock steel on floor, and drain opening at correct height, I am concerned about location of new plastic nut because it is close to seeing standing water in trap. Plus, I don't know if this is the correct way to join the brass to pvc. Any comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's how we install brass waste and overflows.
If you don't have access for repairs, they want us to use solvent weld drains. (Glued up fittings)
New plumbing codes.

The slip joints have been know to leak over time. Not always, but they can.

D21

Reaction score
Terry, thanks. Now I can set my tub. I just didn't want to do it twice. There is no access panel, but I know exactly where to access it from the first floor. You really helped me out with your answer. I am an oil burner mechanic by trade for the past 20 years. I have done repairs on plumbing but since I am not a plumber, I don't always know what the proper techniques and parts are. Thanks again for your reply. You wouldn't happen to be a tile expert would you? Lol!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks