Need advice on DWV venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bathroom group downstairs should have a 2" vent, which can tie back in on the next floor.
Right now the lav in the basement is not vented. You will need an AAV there, or arm off the 3" waste stack and have a vent between the stack and the trap.
The toilet is perhaps vented by the tub, except that it should have been 2".
I'm thinking it will work, but it wouldn't have passed code.
The kitchen sink should have come in either below everything, or the other stuff should have been vented before it hit the main line. The kitchen sink, because if drops a lot more water all at once is way different than a bathroom lav.
The waste stack for the bathrooms above does nothing to vent the downstairs. If anything, when the toilet upstairs is flushed it will affect the water in the downstairs fixtures.

Last edited:

Matt1988

Reaction score
The bathroom group downstairs should have a 2" vent, which can tie back in on the next floor.
Right now the lav in the basement is not vented. You will need an AAV there, or arm off the 3" waste stack and have a vent between the stack and the trap.
The toilet is perhaps vented by the tub, except that it should have been 2".
I'm thinking it will work, but it wouldn't have passed code.
The kitchen sink should have come in either below everything, or the other stuff should have been vented before it hit the main line. The kitchen sink, because if drops a lot more water all at once is way different than a bathroom lav.
The waste stack for the bathrooms above does nothing to vent the downstairs. If anything, when the toilet upstairs is flushed it will affect the water in the downstairs fixtures.

Ok I see what you mean now but if I arm off of the main stack to run a drain for the bathroom sink what do I do with the existing drain in the floor for the sink? Do I cut it flush with the floor and seal it off? I'm sorry to keep hammering you with questions I think I've almost got what I need. That vent is 2in btw and the stack is 4in. Sorry that was my fault not labeling everything for you. No way for you to know that. Thanks so much for your help. I wished I had came here before trusting someone who claimed they knew how to do it. M fault ultimately I know. Tks again

Matt1988

Reaction score
Well...good evening keyboard Rambo! Come to my little thread to troll some more? Figured a busy pro such as yourself would have better things to do?? I can't believe you had time for me??!! Lol..So sad so sad.

Matt1988

Reaction score
You win. Good luck.

didnt realize anyone was playing to win? I'm just trying to finish my house and evidently this ordeal with you has kept everyone but the administrator from responding to my posts so I guess you win. I hope it feels good for whatever reason? Maybe enduring your insults is the price of admission?

Matt1988

Reaction score
Wanted to see if someone would mind to take a look at my revised sketch to see if I'm getting closer to where I need to be? The br sink drain on the far right is 45ed back into the wall to get it where it should've been in the first place.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 210

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a rite of passage. Just wanted to give you enough of an adrenalin boost to help you push through the job. You actually didn't need it. My mistake.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's like this: every day I sally forth into the world of broken things, not to succeed, but to just face down defeat. Losing is not an option. If you lose, you have to go back. If you have to go back, you lose money which is why you sallied forth in the first place. The aggravation factor in plumbing is pretty high. Probably why I bit your head off in the first place. Residual aggravation. If you can tolerate my shit, you just might succeed in the plumbing world. By the way, my income went up X4 when I became self-employed in the trade. Oh, I also quit playing the guitar and drinking beer, but that didn't have anything to do with it. I was better at drinking beer than I was at playing the guitar.

Last edited:

Matt1988

Reaction score
It's like this: every day I sally forth into the world of broken things, not to succeed, but to just face down defeat. Losing is not an option. If you lose, you have to go back. If you have to go back, you lose money which is why you sallied forth in the first place. The aggravation factor in plumbing is pretty high. Probably why I bit your head off in the first place. Residual aggravation. If you can tolerate my shit, you just might succeed in the plumbing world. By the way, my income went up X4 when I became self-employed in the trade. Oh, I also quit playing the guitar and drinking beer, but that didn't have anything to do with it.

Like I said before I had a friend of a friend swear to me he could do it? Of course it's still my fault because I knew the guy wasn't licensed,etc,etc but I thought I could trust him. now I'm trying to pick up the pieces and learn for myself so I can be certain it gets done right. My wife and I are building out of pocket so hiring a plumber at this point is not an option. I framed this place. Wired it with a little help from a guy who actually did work in that field and all we have left is the plumbing as far as the difficult/skilled labor part goes. Most of the interior is planned to be T&g and I've had some experience with Sheetrock. Enough to get it done anyways. I'm on my second year working on this so im vested to the point where I will do whatever it takes to finish and that's prob why I reacted the way I did.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Matt, one thing that kind of set me off is that there were a lot of folks in my former area that were in the "back to the country" mode. Not without talent, they built a house on their little piece of the earth, and did everything themselves from framing, roofing siding, doors, windows, flooring, sheetrock, the whole nine yards. Except the plumbing. Without exception, they all farmed out the plumbing to the plumbers. That's mostly why I was surprised that you were doing that part yourself.

This is a good place to get the information you need to get the job done right. If you goober it up it will be a daily pain in the butt for decades to come. That was my main concern from the start. Getting it right is worth all the time and effort you put into it.

Lots of good, knowledgeable , experienced people here willing to help. Even me.

Matt1988

Reaction score
Looks like I've wasted my good will on a dunderhead. My apologies to all.

Back to insulting huh? I can't keep up with your moods? I've seen lots of diyers on here? Do they all have to do this dance?? Was hoping if I could get some info here I wouldn't have those issues down the line but evidently I can't get a simple sketch looked over.

Matt1988

Reaction score
I've never met anyone on an online forum with diy as part of the forum title attempting to push out diyers? It makes no sense? I'm only still doing the back and forth because I'm just curious what's going to be spout out next and I think this is kind of hilarious?? ! Your name is starting to make sense now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks