Need Advice on Drain and Vent for Sink/Toilet in Garage

Users who are viewing this thread

William Donovan

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help me out with my dilemma. My wife and I bought a house in Yorba Linda, CA about 4 months ago. The previous owner had converted the 3 car garage outback into an apt without permits. They city had been after the previous owner and now is hounding us to return it to a garage. I've done the majority of the demo work and asked the city if I can keep a toilet and sink. They agreed and issued permits. I'm now somewhat stuck on how to complete the job due to lack of experience.

Basic Details:
Slab on Grade Foundation
Waste lines are buried under the slab
The previous owner did not upgrade the 2" sewer line feeding into the main 4" sewer when adding the additional fixtures so she installed a sewage ejector.
The vertical section of the toilet vent has been removed because it interfered with the 2 car garage door.
The city uses California Plumbing Code

What I'd like to do if it's reasonable and up to code - Tap into the existing drain running to the sink that has been removed. Send it on a 45 to the exterior wall where the new sink will be installed. Run the drain pipe up proud of the wall because there is a massive header along with a top plate supporting a truss. Go through the ceiling and tie into the existing vent stack exiting the roof. I'm open to other suggestions as I realize this will be pretty ugly. If this is acceptable and to code what types of fitting will I need to make my transitions to stay within code? Also can the sink wet vent the toilet as long at the vent is 2"? I've included some picture below to illustrate where I'm at and what my plan is currently. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_5083 edit.jpg
    IMG_5083 edit.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,759
  • IMG_5084 edit.jpg
    IMG_5084 edit.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_5085 edit.jpg
    IMG_5085 edit.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_5087.jpg
    IMG_5087.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_5088 edit.jpg
    IMG_5088 edit.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 256

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
frame a bump out wall just far enough to conceal the lav drain and vent and go straight up.
It should also suffice for a wet vent. Are you planning on holding someone hostage?

William Donovan

Reaction score
frame a bump out wall just far enough to conceal the lav drain and vent and go straight up.
It should also suffice for a wet vent. Are you planning on holding someone hostage?
Ha! It's not a basement or crawlspace, just want a place to take a leak when working on cars. Appreciate the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks