Need advice on blower motor/fan

Users who are viewing this thread

lhw455

Reaction score
Hi all, new homeowner who inherited a bit of an old HVAC system. The problem I've been having is that the blower motor/fan doesn't spin up i.e. when I set the fan to "on" on the thermostat, it mostly doesn't spin up, I just hear a humming sound. When it does start, it runs for awhile and then shuts off (and the motor gets quite hot to the touch).

I initially replace the capacitor (which I believe is a run capacitor) with the equivalent (it was labelled a GE capacitor, 370V at 5 MFD.

This didn't solve the problem, so I've now taken out the motor to search for a replacement. It's a GE 5KCP39JGN226BS (old). I managed to find a replacement second hand motor (same model) off eBay (not sure if there is a modern equivalent, but my Google skiils failed me searching for a compatible model.

Anyway, while I wait for the replacement motor, I noticed that the motor has a label (i.imgur.com/hcPdkne.jpg) which includes the text "7.5/370v" with a * next to it that says "5/370v required for some units"

So my question is the following: should I be using a 5 MFD capacitor or a 7.5 MFD capacitor. Also, is there a replacement model motor I could look into i.e. how do I go about sourcing a replacement should the "new" one fail again?

Thanks in advance

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The difference shouldn't matter. A good 5mfd the motor would still run up to speed anyway. The motor itself is probably worn out. Here is a replacement motor that would work but you may want to call then=m for rotation direction. It is labeled GENTEQ (a GE logo).

(https://www.genteqmotors.com/)

(http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.c...tor-5kcp39hgaa37at-3585/#sthash.rsxzprjS.dpbs)

FYI...GE no longer makes small motors. That division was bought out by Regal-Beloit Corp. They were licensed to use the GE name but the agreement was done back in 2005. When searching for a replacement motor, just search on HVAC fan motor. Other than voltage and hp, rotation is most important.

Last edited:

lhw455

Reaction score
Never know whether a Like and a reply saying thanks is correct, but thanks! I've already ordered a second-hand GE motor, same model, so I'll go with that, just wanted to confirm I had the right capacitor. But if that one fails, I now know where to source a new one from!

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks