Need advice mounting a Plasma HDTV

Users who are viewing this thread

the_elf

Reaction score
Terry Love Forum:

I was the fortunate grand prize winner of a 50" Samsung Plasma HDTV a few weeks ago. Now comes the tricky part, getting the thing mounted. So, to save the $500+, I'd like to put it in myself.

The problem that I'm facing is that I want to mount it over my nil-used fireplace (I already know about heat issues in regard to the plasma's cooling, etc. I don't really plan to burn the fireplace anymore at this point.).

The mounting bracket is approximately 30" wide. The distance between the two full studs on either side of the firebox is about 38". Here inlies the problem.

There is a half stud in the very middle between the two full studs, but I'm not an engineer, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea trying to arrange to mount to it. Even if I mount to one of the fulls, and the half, I'm not certain that the siding mount points will shift over enough to center the plasma TV.

To put the situation in perspective, here are a couple of shots of the framing from when the house was built:

the_elf-03.jpg

I really don't want to have to reinforce (add more studs). It's a lot more work that I was hoping to have to do, and me and my buddies don't have a lot of expertise with it. Ripping out sheetrock and getting in there to add lumber just seems like a real un-fun job.

HiFi Buys (Tweeter) says that they'll put in the bracket for $450 (money I don't really have to spend), but that doesn't include any sort of structural reinforcement, if they deem that it is necessary.

My options are:

1) Hang it on a full stud and a half stud such that there's enough sliding room to be able to center the TV. (And hope that it'll hold)

2) Tear out sheet rock, get in there and reinforce. (Really don't want to have to do)

3) Slap a couple of 1x6s or 2x6s up on the wall across both full studs and the half stud, and mount to that. (Not terribly hard, more confident about it holding, but it might be a mess to clean up if/when we sell the house)

Any suggestions for my installation? Has anyone else mounted above a fireplace like this, encountering the same delima?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
dont look a gift horse in the mouth

you are lucky that the walls are open...

<<<<<WOOD IS CHEAP>>>>> and I am pretty sure you can find
plenty of free wood allover that job site

that is a double wall chimmney going up through there so its
probably no big deal anyway....

lay some 2x12s flush with the inside wall and fill up that whole area
with them and you probably wont miss

just fill the cavity with some studs on their sides or whatever you
can get your hands on and forget about it..

ps... dont forget to install a power outlet...

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The thing probably weighs around 80#. There are probably at least six screw holes. That's barely 13 pounds per fastener. If any one is in the middle to bite into the stud, you should be golden, but that is a bonus. Use some drywall anchors or moly bolts rated for enough weight, and go for it. The metal plate on the bracket and the spread of the anchors behind, you'll have plenty hold. Just make sure that the drywall is mounted to the studs properly. It would be nice if you could put a plug in the wall behind it and maybe some conduit for the connnections, too.

the_elf

Reaction score
I apologize...that post was misleading. The house is finished...that was just a picture from when it was built to show where the studs are. It looks like this right now:

the_elf-04.jpg

So, the drywall being there...is it really going to be necessary to cut it all up to reinforce? (God, I hope not) :|

The TV is 108 lbs., and that doesn't count the mounting bracket. Not sure how much it is.

And thank you...I appreciate the thoughts and feedback.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of the time, as others have stated, hanging with the proper fastners, may be sufficient. Just to be safe, you could probably make a hole just big enough and easiely repairable, if you want to place more bracing behind the wall to be safe.

Since there is no electrical, or connections for other equipment (DVD, Surround Sound, CATV, HDMI), you may need to do some work to put in boxes for electrical, and CATV/Sound/Video.

the_elf

Reaction score
Do I understand properly that you can't run the power cord into the wall according to code? That really stinks. :|

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yep, no power cords in the wall. Fishing up wiring for a recessed or even flush box might not be too bad, depending. It appears that there is a fair amount of room in the recess above the insert.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would consider putting some nice plywood behind the TV, that way you can catch more wood for the support.
With the tv in front, it wouldn't be seen anyway.

One note of caution, my daughter has a TV over a fireplace, and it's the most annoying thing to try to watch.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
want to raffel it off??

it looks like such a pain --if its too much trouble

why dont you just have a raffel here on terrys site

at a buck a chance??

----------------------------------------------------------------------
all you got to do is hit some studs.

the mollys will work fine t0o..

the_elf

Reaction score
Terry said:
I would consider putting some nice plywood behind the TV, that way you can catch more wood for the support.
With the tv in front, it wouldn't be seen anyway.

One note of caution, my daughter has a TV over a fireplace, and it's the most annoying thing to try to watch.

I've gotten feedback on another forum where a guy hung a 150 lbs. TV using the same kind of plywood idea, except with a 2x10. Cut out the drywall, replace with the 2x10 bolted to all three studs, and then put the mounting bracket on that. He said that he hung from the rig before putting the TV up (a common test), and he weighs 250lbs.

Would this be any more or less secure than using plywood? Plywood just kinda scares me because it's so thin.

Is there a particular reason that makes the TV over the fireplace annoying? I plan to have a tilt mount so that I can aim it down some.

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys! :)

If my wall falls apart when I hang on it, I'll raffle the TV here. :p Too bad you guys have already given me some really good advice, huh? ;)

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Unless you have reclining seats, staring up at the tv is a pain. Drywall is surprisingly strong if you drill a hole and then install a mollybolt. Especially if you have what is likely 4-8 of the things spread out. Does the bracket have any holes in the middle or are they all at the edges? If any ONE of the holes lines up with the stud, I wouldn't worry about it if the others were set with decent molly bolts. Just make sure you get them rated for the weight and depth of the drywall. Is this bracket a swiveling one, or fixed? If it swiveled, then I'd rethink this. My decorative wrought iron railing is held up with six toggle bolts through the drywall, and you can hang off of that - it's only got a small face bracket. Me thinks thou does protest too much...

Prashster

Reaction score
That middle 'cripple' stud is going to be plenty strong. It's supported by an on-side 2x10 which is supported underneath by 2 'jack' studs going down to the ground. IMHO, that stud is going to be as strong as a king running floor to ceiling.

However, I always like to span as many studs as possible when hanging heavy stuff.

If it were me, I'd cut a 3/4" birch plywood rectangle that is 6" larger than the frame of your tv. Then hang that mounting board on center over yr fp. Screw your support bracket into this thing, and it won't go anywhere. Hopefully, one or two of the screw holes will line up with the center underlying stud. Use 3"+ screws to bite into the stud a good inch.

If it were my house, I'd paint it white and add 3/4" cove molding around the perimeter to match your mantel.

This will cost you about $30.

I wouldn't let the 'pro's' do hang it for you directly to the single center stud(regardless of the cost) unless they'll warranty it if it falls.

Last edited:

boober

Reaction score
Terry has it right. Get yourself a sheet of plywood (birch is a good bet as noted by prashster) cut it under the size of the TV and secure it to the studs on either side of the fireplace (and in the middle.) You can add some cove in case someone peaks behind it, but it should be pretty much unseen. Paint it so it blends with the wall...
Secure your bracket to the plywood using deck screws. It should be PLENTY strong enough. If you're still worried, use anchors with it. But really, it's not necessary. Plywood is very strong stuff. Just make sure to get laminated plywood and not MDF with a veneered face.

boober

Reaction score
prashster said:
...and no particle board or melamine
Exactly!

Or like you mentioned.... a 2x... Depending on the bracket, you could get a 2x12 and route the edges to make it a bit more decorative, prime and paint it and screw that to the studs, then hang the bracket to the 2x12. And I should correct my earlier post... to use the deck screws in attaching the backer to the studs, but not the bracket. Use a pan head for the bracket itself...

Prashster

Reaction score
elf,

If all this is a headache for you, I'd be happy to take the plasma off your hands. I wouldn't even charge you.

the_elf

Reaction score
prashster said:
elf,

If all this is a headache for you, I'd be happy to take the plasma off your hands. I wouldn't even charge you.

That's a kind offer. :) But, I've already promised it in a Terry Love Forum raffle when I hang from the mount and break my neck. :eek:

;)

the_elf

Reaction score
I'm just about certain of how I want to hang it, now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to attach a 2x10 to all three studs. If I can get use of a router, I'm going to smooth off front facing edges of it so that if you peek behind the TV, the supporting 2x10 won't look quite as "sharp." (Thanks, Boober!) Going to paint it to match the walls, and caulk it in with the drywall.

I'm planning on putting two boxes in below the mount, one electrical receptacle to power the TV, and the other for all of the assorted cabling.

I just ordered all the cabling that I'm going to need (HDMI, component, composite, VGA, 25' of each).

Here's a few more pics of the planning I've done:

The official "before" picture

the_elf-05.jpg

Cleaned all of my wife's stuff off the mantle
Tape to show center and placement

Cardstock "guide" representing where the mount will go

the_elf-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually the unit would go around 4" higher then what you are showing. Also, how do you plan on hiding the electrical and A/V wires.

the_elf

Reaction score
brownizs said:
Actually the unit would go around 4" higher then what you are showing. Also, how do you plan on hiding the electrical and A/V wires.

4" higher? How do you figure? It's essentially going to gently rest on the mantle (not using the mantle as support, of course). I was real careful with my measuring. 4" higher? :confused:

Regardless, I can adjust the mount's brackets on the TV if need be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks